Is there a file selector in Pharo

DP
David Pennington
Wed, Jan 27, 2021 2:52 PM

I am moving to Pharo from VisualAge Smalltalk as I am now using an M1 MacBook.

I am building software to manage our home accounts and to do this, I download each day a text file from my bank that contains about 1 month’s worth of transactions.  In VAST, I use a FileSelector that opens a window and enables my to navigate to the Downloads folder and lets me select the current transaction file. This gives me the path to the file making it simple for me to open and parse it.

Is there a similar file selector window that I can use in Pharo? I can see how to open the Glamour browsers but not how to extract the path.

Can anyone help please?

David
Totally Objects

I am moving to Pharo from VisualAge Smalltalk as I am now using an M1 MacBook. I am building software to manage our home accounts and to do this, I download each day a text file from my bank that contains about 1 month’s worth of transactions. In VAST, I use a FileSelector that opens a window and enables my to navigate to the Downloads folder and lets me select the current transaction file. This gives me the path to the file making it simple for me to open and parse it. Is there a similar file selector window that I can use in Pharo? I can see how to open the Glamour browsers but not how to extract the path. Can anyone help please? David Totally Objects
NB
Noury Bouraqadi
Wed, Jan 27, 2021 4:20 PM

Hi David,

Have a look at UIManager.
UIManager default chooseFullFileNameMatching: #('.txt' '*.md').

Noury
On Jan 27 2021, at 3:52 pm, David Pennington david@totallyobjects.com wrote:

I am moving to Pharo from VisualAge Smalltalk as I am now using an M1 MacBook.

I am building software to manage our home accounts and to do this, I download each day a text file from my bank that contains about 1 month’s worth of transactions. In VAST, I use a FileSelector that opens a window and enables my to navigate to the Downloads folder and lets me select the current transaction file. This gives me the path to the file making it simple for me to open and parse it.
Is there a similar file selector window that I can use in Pharo? I can see how to open the Glamour browsers but not how to extract the path.
Can anyone help please?
David
Totally Objects

Hi David, Have a look at UIManager. UIManager default chooseFullFileNameMatching: #('.txt' '*.md'). Noury On Jan 27 2021, at 3:52 pm, David Pennington <david@totallyobjects.com> wrote: > I am moving to Pharo from VisualAge Smalltalk as I am now using an M1 MacBook. > > I am building software to manage our home accounts and to do this, I download each day a text file from my bank that contains about 1 month’s worth of transactions. In VAST, I use a FileSelector that opens a window and enables my to navigate to the Downloads folder and lets me select the current transaction file. This gives me the path to the file making it simple for me to open and parse it. > Is there a similar file selector window that I can use in Pharo? I can see how to open the Glamour browsers but not how to extract the path. > Can anyone help please? > David > Totally Objects >
TB
Torsten Bergmann
Wed, Jan 27, 2021 4:24 PM

Hi David,

welcome! Just check

UIManager default
chooseExistingFileReference: 'Select the XML file'

extensions: #('xml' 'xmi')
path: ''.

and similar methods. Be aware that a return value of nil means that
dialog was canceled.

Thanks

Torsten

David Pennington wrote:

> I am moving to Pharo from VisualAge Smalltalk as I am now using an M1 MacBook.
>
> I am building software to manage our home accounts and to do this, I download each day a text file from my bank that contains about 1 month’s worth of transactions. In VAST, I use a FileSelector that opens a window and enables my to navigate to the Downloads folder and lets me select the current transaction file. This gives me the path to the file making it simple for me to open and parse it.
>
> Is there a similar file selector window that I can use in Pharo? I can see how to open the Glamour browsers but not how to extract the path.
>
> Can anyone help please?
>
> David
> Totally Objects

DP
David Pennington
Wed, Jan 27, 2021 4:44 PM

Both of those were very helpful . Interestingly, I was expecting a file path but I got the actual file so that makes it a bit easier.

Great group. I will enjoy being here.

Thanks to Torsten and Noury

David
Totally Objects

David Pennington wrote:

I am moving to Pharo from VisualAge Smalltalk as I am now using an M1 MacBook.

I am building software to manage our home accounts and to do this, I download each day a text file from my bank that contains about 1 month’s worth of transactions. In VAST, I use a FileSelector that opens a window and enables my to navigate to the Downloads folder and lets me select the current transaction file. This gives me the path to the file making it simple for me to open and parse it.

Is there a similar file selector window that I can use in Pharo? I can see how to open the Glamour browsers but not how to extract the path.

Can anyone help please?

David
Totally Objects

Both of those were very helpful . Interestingly, I was expecting a file path but I got the actual file so that makes it a bit easier. Great group. I will enjoy being here. Thanks to Torsten and Noury David Totally Objects > On 27 Jan 2021, at 16:24, Torsten Bergmann <astares@gmx.de> wrote: > > Hi David, > > welcome! Just check > > UIManager default > chooseExistingFileReference: 'Select the XML file' > extensions: #('xml' 'xmi') > path: ''. > > and similar methods. Be aware that a return value of nil means that > dialog was canceled. > > Thanks > Torsten > > > David Pennington wrote: > > > > I am moving to Pharo from VisualAge Smalltalk as I am now using an M1 MacBook. > > > > I am building software to manage our home accounts and to do this, I download each day a text file from my bank that contains about 1 month’s worth of transactions. In VAST, I use a FileSelector that opens a window and enables my to navigate to the Downloads folder and lets me select the current transaction file. This gives me the path to the file making it simple for me to open and parse it. > > > > Is there a similar file selector window that I can use in Pharo? I can see how to open the Glamour browsers but not how to extract the path. > > > > Can anyone help please? > > > > David > > Totally Objects
TB
Torsten Bergmann
Wed, Jan 27, 2021 5:04 PM

Hi David,

glad we were able to help. Traffic here on mailinglist is low - mostly Pharo and Smalltalk people hang out
on Pharo Discord these days - as it is more easy and faster to respond or ask for more details.

Invitation link to Discord is here:

https://discord.gg/QewZMZa

The link can also be found on the Pharo homepage on "Community".

Discord allows to freely chat but even to have live audio chat or screen sharing sessions. There are
specific channels different topics like Spec2 (UI), Iceberg, Database, ... and many more.

There are also Discord servers for Squeak, Squeak Reunion, Dolphin Smalltalk and other
where Smalltalkers are online these days.

Due to Corona there are also online virtual events - for instance today UK Smalltalk user group
will have again their regulary online Zoom meeting where anyone can freely join:

https://www.meetup.com/de-DE/UKSTUG/

I'm sure you will find one or the other known from ST Solution days or other events in these new
online formats.

You will find me as "astares" on Discord and Twitter https://twitter.com/TorstenAstares
Noury and many others are there too.

Thanks
Torsten

David Pennington wrote:

I am moving to Pharo from VisualAge Smalltalk as I am now using an M1 MacBook.

I am building software to manage our home accounts and to do this, I download each day a text file from my bank that contains about 1 month’s worth of transactions. In VAST, I use a FileSelector that opens a window and enables my to navigate to the Downloads folder and lets me select the current transaction file. This gives me the path to the file making it simple for me to open and parse it.

Is there a similar file selector window that I can use in Pharo? I can see how to open the Glamour browsers but not how to extract the path.

Can anyone help please?

David
Totally Objects

Hi David, glad we were able to help. Traffic here on mailinglist is low - mostly Pharo and Smalltalk people hang out on Pharo Discord these days - as it is more easy and faster to respond or ask for more details. Invitation link to Discord is here: https://discord.gg/QewZMZa   The link can also be found on the Pharo homepage on "Community". Discord allows to freely chat but even to have live audio chat or screen sharing sessions. There are specific channels different topics like Spec2 (UI), Iceberg, Database, ... and many more. There are also Discord servers for Squeak, Squeak Reunion, Dolphin Smalltalk and other where Smalltalkers are online these days. Due to Corona there are also online virtual events - for instance today UK Smalltalk user group will have again their regulary online Zoom meeting where anyone can freely join: https://www.meetup.com/de-DE/UKSTUG/ I'm sure you will find one or the other known from ST Solution days or other events in these new online formats. You will find me as "astares" on Discord and Twitter https://twitter.com/TorstenAstares Noury and many others are there too. Thanks Torsten David wrote: Both of those were very helpful . Interestingly, I was expecting a file path but I got the actual file so that makes it a bit easier.   Great group. I will enjoy being here.   Thanks to Torsten and Noury   David Totally Objects   On 27 Jan 2021, at 16:24, Torsten Bergmann <astares@gmx.de[mailto:astares@gmx.de]> wrote:  Hi David, welcome! Just check   UIManager default            chooseExistingFileReference: 'Select the XML file'            extensions: #('xml' 'xmi')                                         path: ''.   and similar methods. Be aware that a return value of nil means that  dialog was canceled.   Thanks Torsten   David Pennington wrote: > > I am moving to Pharo from VisualAge Smalltalk as I am now using an M1 MacBook. > > I am building software to manage our home accounts and to do this, I download each day a text file from my bank that contains about 1 month’s worth of transactions. In VAST, I use a FileSelector that opens a window and enables my to navigate to the Downloads folder and lets me select the current transaction file. This gives me the path to the file making it simple for me to open and parse it. > > Is there a similar file selector window that I can use in Pharo? I can see how to open the Glamour browsers but not how to extract the path. > > Can anyone help please? > > David > Totally Objects
SD
Stéphane Ducasse
Sat, Jan 30, 2021 9:31 AM

Welcome david

Just a remark, the file dialogs are not really good and torsten started to design a better one named arbour, we started also to create one
with spec2 based on the one of Peter I guess but we could not focus on it and finish.
There is the FileDialog in Pharo-contributions.
I wanted to have one that
- has nice default
- remember the last visited places
on per instance

Now what is super important is that you can improve your situation while improving ours and the one
of everybody because Pharo is really about a nice ecosystem on which its users can have an impact.
So if all smalltalkers in Pharo would spend 30 min for Pharo each week and contribute then Pharo would be different

S.

On 27 Jan 2021, at 15:52, David Pennington david@totallyobjects.com wrote:

I am moving to Pharo from VisualAge Smalltalk as I am now using an M1 MacBook.

I am building software to manage our home accounts and to do this, I download each day a text file from my bank that contains about 1 month’s worth of transactions.  In VAST, I use a FileSelector that opens a window and enables my to navigate to the Downloads folder and lets me select the current transaction file. This gives me the path to the file making it simple for me to open and parse it.

Is there a similar file selector window that I can use in Pharo? I can see how to open the Glamour browsers but not how to extract the path.

Can anyone help please?

David
Totally Objects

Stéphane Ducasse
http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr / http://www.pharo.org
03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Aurore Dalle
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Welcome david Just a remark, the file dialogs are not really good and torsten started to design a better one named arbour, we started also to create one with spec2 based on the one of Peter I guess but we could not focus on it and finish. There is the FileDialog in Pharo-contributions. I wanted to have one that - has nice default - remember the last visited places on per instance Now what is super important is that you can improve your situation while improving ours and the one of everybody because Pharo is really about a nice ecosystem on which its users can have an impact. So if all smalltalkers in Pharo would spend 30 min for Pharo each week and contribute then Pharo would be different S. > On 27 Jan 2021, at 15:52, David Pennington <david@totallyobjects.com> wrote: > > I am moving to Pharo from VisualAge Smalltalk as I am now using an M1 MacBook. > > I am building software to manage our home accounts and to do this, I download each day a text file from my bank that contains about 1 month’s worth of transactions. In VAST, I use a FileSelector that opens a window and enables my to navigate to the Downloads folder and lets me select the current transaction file. This gives me the path to the file making it simple for me to open and parse it. > > Is there a similar file selector window that I can use in Pharo? I can see how to open the Glamour browsers but not how to extract the path. > > Can anyone help please? > > David > Totally Objects -------------------------------------------- Stéphane Ducasse http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr / http://www.pharo.org 03 59 35 87 52 Assistant: Aurore Dalle FAX 03 59 57 78 50 TEL 03 59 35 86 16 S. Ducasse - Inria 40, avenue Halley, Parc Scientifique de la Haute Borne, Bât.A, Park Plaza Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650 France