pharo-users@lists.pharo.org

Any question about pharo is welcome

View all threads

Please check older Issue tracker entries!

MD
Marcus Denker
Wed, May 18, 2022 6:50 AM

Hi,

One problem with a public issue tracker: it accumulates lots of issues…

This sadly means that issues will not be looked at one by one… there are
just too many.

One thing that is interesting to do is to check the issue that you submitted.

- Is the issue still relevant?
- is the title good and in sync with the issue?
- Has it been fixed already ? (it happens!)

Then, for every issue there is a “next step”. It can be a good thing to spell out
very explicitly what the next step is “We need to create a Pull Request for the
suggested fix”.

Or maybe what is needed is a  summary of the huge discussion in the
issue tracker entry.

Another idea: try to find others to help. E.g.

- send a mail to the mailinglist.
- ask on discord.

Maybe you can find a small group that works on this issue together.

Marcus
Hi, One problem with a public issue tracker: it accumulates lots of issues… This sadly means that issues will not be looked at one by one… there are just too many. One thing that is interesting to do is to check the issue that *you* submitted. - Is the issue still relevant? - is the title good and in sync with the issue? - Has it been fixed already ? (it happens!) Then, for every issue there is a “next step”. It can be a good thing to spell out very explicitly what the next step is “We need to create a Pull Request for the suggested fix”. Or maybe what is needed is a summary of the huge discussion in the issue tracker entry. Another idea: try to find others to help. E.g. - send a mail to the mailinglist. - ask on discord. Maybe you can find a small group that works on this issue together. Marcus
SS
serge.stinckwich@gmail.com
Wed, May 18, 2022 11:51 AM

Thank you Marcus for your effort to engage more people from the community on managing the issue tracker entries more efficiently 👏
Regards,

Sent from my iPhone

On 18 May 2022, at 14:50, Marcus Denker marcus.denker@inria.fr wrote:

[...]

Thank you Marcus for your effort to engage more people from the community on managing the issue tracker entries more efficiently 👏 Regards, Sent from my iPhone > On 18 May 2022, at 14:50, Marcus Denker <marcus.denker@inria.fr> wrote: > > Hi, > > One problem with a public issue tracker: it accumulates lots of issues… > > This sadly means that issues will not be looked at one by one… there are > just too many. > > One thing that is interesting to do is to check the issue that *you* submitted. > > - Is the issue still relevant? > - is the title good and in sync with the issue? > - Has it been fixed already ? (it happens!) > > Then, for every issue there is a “next step”. It can be a good thing to spell out > very explicitly what the next step is “We need to create a Pull Request for the > suggested fix”. > > Or maybe what is needed is a summary of the huge discussion in the > issue tracker entry. > > Another idea: try to find others to help. E.g. > > - send a mail to the mailinglist. > - ask on discord. > > Maybe you can find a small group that works on this issue together. > > > > Marcus > > >
SJ
Sebastian Jordan Montano
Wed, May 18, 2022 2:03 PM

Yes, thank you Marcus!

Sebastian Jordan

[...]

Yes, thank you Marcus! Sebastian Jordan ----- Mail original ----- > De: "serge stinckwich" <serge.stinckwich@gmail.com> > À: "Pharo Development List" <pharo-dev@lists.pharo.org> > Cc: "Any question about pharo is welcome" <pharo-users@lists.pharo.org> > Envoyé: Mercredi 18 Mai 2022 11:51:30 > Objet: [Pharo-dev] Re: Please check older Issue tracker entries! > Thank you Marcus for your effort to engage more people from the community on > managing the issue tracker entries more efficiently 👏 > Regards, > > Sent from my iPhone > >> On 18 May 2022, at 14:50, Marcus Denker <marcus.denker@inria.fr> wrote: >> >> Hi, >> >> One problem with a public issue tracker: it accumulates lots of issues… >> >> This sadly means that issues will not be looked at one by one… there are >> just too many. >> >> One thing that is interesting to do is to check the issue that *you* submitted. >> >> - Is the issue still relevant? >> - is the title good and in sync with the issue? >> - Has it been fixed already ? (it happens!) >> >> Then, for every issue there is a “next step”. It can be a good thing to spell >> out >> very explicitly what the next step is “We need to create a Pull Request for the >> suggested fix”. >> >> Or maybe what is needed is a summary of the huge discussion in the >> issue tracker entry. >> >> Another idea: try to find others to help. E.g. >> >> - send a mail to the mailinglist. >> - ask on discord. >> >> Maybe you can find a small group that works on this issue together. >> >> >> >> Marcus >> >>
KO
Kasper Osterbye
Fri, May 20, 2022 10:10 AM

One meta-issue is that some issues might be raised in Pharo, but should be raised in some sub-project (Spec, Iceberg, Microdown, …).

I for one has been working mostly in Microdown, and would not obviously discover an issue regarding Microdown raised in the Pharo project. Perhaps it is just I who is sluppy.

Best,

Kasper

On 18 May 2022, at 08.50, Marcus Denker marcus.denker@inria.fr wrote:

[...]

One meta-issue is that some issues might be raised in Pharo, but should be raised in some sub-project (Spec, Iceberg, Microdown, …). I for one has been working mostly in Microdown, and would not obviously discover an issue regarding Microdown raised in the Pharo project. Perhaps it is just I who is sluppy. Best, Kasper > On 18 May 2022, at 08.50, Marcus Denker <marcus.denker@inria.fr> wrote: > > Hi, > > One problem with a public issue tracker: it accumulates lots of issues… > > This sadly means that issues will not be looked at one by one… there are > just too many. > > One thing that is interesting to do is to check the issue that *you* submitted. > > - Is the issue still relevant? > - is the title good and in sync with the issue? > - Has it been fixed already ? (it happens!) > > Then, for every issue there is a “next step”. It can be a good thing to spell out > very explicitly what the next step is “We need to create a Pull Request for the > suggested fix”. > > Or maybe what is needed is a summary of the huge discussion in the > issue tracker entry. > > Another idea: try to find others to help. E.g. > > - send a mail to the mailinglist. > - ask on discord. > > Maybe you can find a small group that works on this issue together. > > > > Marcus > > >
MD
Marcus Denker
Fri, May 20, 2022 10:52 AM

On 20 May 2022, at 12:10, Kasper Osterbye kasper.osterbye@gmail.com wrote:

One meta-issue is that some issues might be raised in Pharo, but should be raised in some sub-project (Spec, Iceberg, Microdown, …).

I for one has been working mostly in Microdown, and would not obviously discover an issue regarding Microdown raised in the Pharo project. Perhaps it is just I who is sluppy.

The problem is that discovery is hard… that is, to know where to put the issue.

We should maybe be better at then opening issues in the sub projects as part of the daily issue tracker check.

Marcus