PDFtalk for Pharo - first fileOut

CH
christian.haider@smalltalked-visuals.com
Mon, May 23, 2022 3:05 PM

Hi Pharoers,

as some of you know, there is a project on the way for porting the PDFtalk
library from VisualWorks to non-namespaced Smalltalks [1]. Now, the first
fileOut of the full PDFtalk library, including Values and tests, is
available for Pharo [2].

The fileOuts should load into Pharo 10.0 (or 9.0, 8.0, 7.0 and 6.1) without
errors. The files are about 5 MB in size and take around 6 to 10 minutes to
load on my machine. There are lots of load warnings in the Transcript and
many tests have errors, but all code loads and can be browsed and examined.

The tool automatically rewrites namespaced names with prefixed globally
unique names. This seems to work well and automates away much of the usual
porting work.

Now I am looking for a Pharoer with an interest in PDF and/or the
transformation tool and some time at hand to pair up for some coding. This
is an exiting project. Heads up - who wants to be part of this?

Happy hacking,

            Christian

[1] https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=pdftalknonnamespacefileout

[2]
https://wiki.pdftalk.de/doku.php?id=portingblog#first_fileout_of_the_full_pd
ftalk_for_pharo

P.S. I hope that I am writing to the right list - apologies, if this is spam
for you

[...]
sean@clipperadams.com
Sun, May 29, 2022 1:54 AM

This is exciting :) I’m interested in helping. Where can we talk more about specifics? Maybe enable Discussions in the GH repo?

This is exciting :) I’m interested in helping. Where can we talk more about specifics? Maybe enable Discussions in the GH repo?
CH
christian.haider@smalltalked-visuals.com
Sun, May 29, 2022 5:32 AM

Thanks Sean! I did not know about this :). nice!

Here it is: https://github.com/orgs/PortingPDFtalk/discussions

Happy hacking,

            Christian