pharo-users@lists.pharo.org

Any question about pharo is welcome

View all threads

ported and refreshed Crypto-Nacl to GitHub (from StH)

JV
Jonathan van Alteren
Mon, Aug 31, 2020 7:52 AM

Hi all,

I wanted to let you know that I ported the Crypto-Nacl library from SmalltalkHub to GitHub here: https://github.com/objectguild/Crypto-Nacl

The original author is Tony Garnock-Jones, with contributions from Hernán Morales Durand. See the README for more details.

Libsodium has evolved a lot over time, which means that there is plenty of additional functionality that can be unlocked through this library. I don't have a need for it at the moment, but that might change in the near future. My interest is in using the cryptographic features to enhance security of business applications.

Oh, and thanks to the Buenos Aires Smalltalk team (https://github.com/ba-st/) for inspiration on using GitHub Actions with smalltalkCI :-)

Cheers,

Jonathan van Alteren

Founding Member | Object Guild B.V.
Sustainable Software for Purpose-Driven Organizations

jvalteren@objectguild.com

[...]
SD
Stéphane Ducasse
Mon, Aug 31, 2020 12:27 PM

tx!

On 31 Aug 2020, at 09:52, Jonathan van Alteren jvalteren@objectguild.com wrote:

Hi all,

I wanted to let you know that I ported the Crypto-Nacl library from SmalltalkHub to GitHub here: https://github.com/objectguild/Crypto-Nacl https://github.com/objectguild/Crypto-Nacl

Oh, and thanks to the Buenos Aires Smalltalk team (https://github.com/ba-st/ https://github.com/ba-st/) for inspiration on using GitHub Actions with smalltalkCI :-)

Cheers,

Jonathan van Alteren

Founding Member | Object Guild B.V.
Sustainable Software for Purpose-Driven Organizations

jvalteren@objectguild.com

Stéphane Ducasse
http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr / http://www.pharo.org
03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Aurore Dalle
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

tx! > On 31 Aug 2020, at 09:52, Jonathan van Alteren <jvalteren@objectguild.com> wrote: > > Hi all, > > I wanted to let you know that I ported the Crypto-Nacl library from SmalltalkHub to GitHub here: https://github.com/objectguild/Crypto-Nacl <https://github.com/objectguild/Crypto-Nacl> > > The original author is Tony Garnock-Jones, with contributions from Hernán Morales Durand. See the README for more details. > > Libsodium has evolved a lot over time, which means that there is plenty of additional functionality that can be unlocked through this library. I don't have a need for it at the moment, but that might change in the near future. My interest is in using the cryptographic features to enhance security of business applications. > > Oh, and thanks to the Buenos Aires Smalltalk team (https://github.com/ba-st/ <https://github.com/ba-st/>) for inspiration on using GitHub Actions with smalltalkCI :-) > > Cheers, > > Jonathan van Alteren > > Founding Member | Object Guild B.V. > Sustainable Software for Purpose-Driven Organizations > > jvalteren@objectguild.com -------------------------------------------- Stéphane Ducasse http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr / http://www.pharo.org 03 59 35 87 52 Assistant: Aurore Dalle FAX 03 59 57 78 50 TEL 03 59 35 86 16 S. Ducasse - Inria 40, avenue Halley, Parc Scientifique de la Haute Borne, Bât.A, Park Plaza Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650 France
TB
Torsten Bergmann
Mon, Aug 31, 2020 3:36 PM

Hi Jonathan,

nice, thanks for investing time and effort into this. Such utilities are needed for serious applications. Some thoughts and questions:

 1. What is the mid-term or long-term plan regarding collaboration? Will you be able to step in as maintainer?

 2. As it already seems to be authored by several people and contains functionality of general interest it should be considered to move it to
     a central community place like https://github.com/pharo-contributions[https://github.com/pharo-contributions/Cryptography]/ where several people from community have already
     access. It would then be in alignment with https://github.com/pharo-contributions/Cryptography[https://github.com/pharo-contributions/Cryptography] too and maintenance of
contributions as well as releases could be done from different sides and more centrally.

     You and anyone can then regulary fork from the community repo to an own (customized) repo like https://github.com/objectguild/Crypto-Nacl

     I guess Esteban can add you as contributor to "pharo-contribution" organization if you follow that path.

 3. I guess LICENSE file need to be updated to give additionall credit to the original authors or mention more general "Pharo community"
     (currently it mentions Object Guild solely)

 4. Can it be changed to use "NaCl" instead of "Nacl" which is more suitable name for Sodium  (a similar name fixing was done in the Cuis port too)

 5. Would it be possible to add some expressions/samples or docu in the README for end users on how to use it. This would give people a quick guide
on how to do things.

 6. Any plans for making it work on Windows too?

Thanks
Torsten

Gesendet: Montag, 31. August 2020 um 09:52 Uhr
Von: "Jonathan van Alteren" jvalteren@objectguild.com
An: "Any question about pharo is welcome" pharo-users@lists.pharo.org
Betreff: [Pharo-users] ported and refreshed Crypto-Nacl to GitHub (from StH)

[...]

Hi Jonathan,   nice, thanks for investing time and effort into this. Such utilities are needed for serious applications. Some thoughts and questions:  1. What is the mid-term or long-term plan regarding collaboration? Will you be able to step in as maintainer?  2. As it already seems to be authored by several people and contains functionality of general interest it should be considered to move it to       a central community place like https://github.com/pharo-contributions[https://github.com/pharo-contributions/Cryptography]/ where several people from community have already      access. It would then be in alignment with https://github.com/pharo-contributions/Cryptography[https://github.com/pharo-contributions/Cryptography] too and maintenance of contributions as well as releases could be done from different sides and more centrally.        You and anyone can then regulary fork from the community repo to an own (customized) repo like https://github.com/objectguild/Crypto-Nacl      I guess Esteban can add you as contributor to "pharo-contribution" organization if you follow that path.  3. I guess LICENSE file need to be updated to give additionall credit to the original authors or mention more general "Pharo community"       (currently it mentions Object Guild solely)    4. Can it be changed to use "NaCl" instead of "Nacl" which is more suitable name for Sodium  (a similar name fixing was done in the Cuis port too)  5. Would it be possible to add some expressions/samples or docu in the README for end users on how to use it. This would give people a quick guide on how to do things.      6. Any plans for making it work on Windows too? Thanks Torsten   Gesendet: Montag, 31. August 2020 um 09:52 Uhr Von: "Jonathan van Alteren" <jvalteren@objectguild.com> An: "Any question about pharo is welcome" <pharo-users@lists.pharo.org> Betreff: [Pharo-users] ported and refreshed Crypto-Nacl to GitHub (from StH) Hi all, I wanted to let you know that I ported the Crypto-Nacl library from SmalltalkHub to GitHub here: https://github.com/objectguild/Crypto-Nacl[https://github.com/objectguild/Crypto-Nacl] The original author is Tony Garnock-Jones, with contributions from Hernán Morales Durand. See the README for more details. Libsodium has evolved a lot over time, which means that there is plenty of additional functionality that can be unlocked through this library. I don't have a need for it at the moment, but that might change in the near future. My interest is in using the cryptographic features to enhance security of business applications. Oh, and thanks to the Buenos Aires Smalltalk team (https://github.com/ba-st/[https://github.com/ba-st/]) for inspiration on using GitHub Actions with smalltalkCI :-)   Cheers, Jonathan van Alteren Founding Member | Object Guild B.V. Sustainable Software for Purpose-Driven Organizations jvalteren@objectguild.com
JV
Jonathan van Alteren
Tue, Sep 8, 2020 3:10 PM

Hi Torsten,

Thanks for your message, those are some good questions/comments.

  1. Looking at the frequency of the last commits on SmalltalkHub, I think I can step in as maintainer for the moment. Please let me know if you think something needs to be changed/added to the README to reflect that.

  2. Although I am fine with making it more accessible to the community, I think it should not be integrated in the Cryptography repository. If I am correct, the Cryptography packages are a standalone, native implementation of ASN1 and several cryptography related libraries. Crypto-Nacl is a wrapper for Libsodium which uses uFFI, and will therefore only support features that Sodium offers.

What are criteria for a repository to be placed under the pharo-contributions organization?

  1. Thanks, I've updated the LICENSE file to add Tony and Hernán.

  2. I changed the name earlier, but decided to revert to the original name in SmalltalkHub. If a name change is warranted, I think it should be libsodium-pharo, since the original NaCl library has been superseded by Sodium and other libsodium bindings follow a similar naming convention (see https://github.com/search?q=libsodium&type=Repositories)

  3. Of course it would. At the moment, I only migrated the project from SmalltalkHub, refreshed a small bit of code and enabled smalltalkCI with GitHub Actions. Currently, you'd need to look at the tests for some examples.

Any particular examples you would be interested in? Perhaps you can open an issue with a request.

  1. It might already work on Windows, since the Nacl FFILibrary defines 'libsodium.dll' as win32 module (library) name. However, I don't currently run any Windows systems, so that would be a good opportunity for a contribution. Is that something you can help with?

Thanks again for the feedback. I'm interested to work on this to gain more experience with maintaining an open source project, especially since this one doesn't seem very demanding at the moment.

Are you familiar with Pieter Hintjens work and ideas on OS software? I find his C4 model (Collective Code Construction Contract) to be very interesting and I'm open to trying that out.

See here for more context: https://hintjens.gitbooks.io/social-architecture/content/chapter4.html
(The rest of the book is interesting as well.)

Kind regards,

Gesendet: Montag, 31. August 2020 um 09:52 Uhr
Von: "Jonathan van Alteren" jvalteren@objectguild.com
An: "Any question about pharo is welcome" pharo-users@lists.pharo.org

[...]

Hi Torsten, Thanks for your message, those are some good questions/comments. 1. Looking at the frequency of the last commits on SmalltalkHub, I think I can step in as maintainer for the moment. Please let me know if you think something needs to be changed/added to the README to reflect that. 2. Although I am fine with making it more accessible to the community, I think it should not be integrated in the Cryptography repository. If I am correct, the Cryptography packages are a standalone, native implementation of ASN1 and several cryptography related libraries. Crypto-Nacl is a wrapper for Libsodium which uses uFFI, and will therefore only support features that Sodium offers. What are criteria for a repository to be placed under the pharo-contributions organization? 3. Thanks, I've updated the LICENSE file to add Tony and Hernán. 4. I changed the name earlier, but decided to revert to the original name in SmalltalkHub. If a name change is warranted, I think it should be libsodium-pharo, since the original NaCl library has been superseded by Sodium and other libsodium bindings follow a similar naming convention (see https://github.com/search?q=libsodium&type=Repositories) 5. Of course it would. At the moment, I only migrated the project from SmalltalkHub, refreshed a small bit of code and enabled smalltalkCI with GitHub Actions. Currently, you'd need to look at the tests for some examples. Any particular examples you would be interested in? Perhaps you can open an issue with a request. 6. It might already work on Windows, since the Nacl FFILibrary defines 'libsodium.dll' as win32 module (library) name. However, I don't currently run any Windows systems, so that would be a good opportunity for a contribution. Is that something you can help with? Thanks again for the feedback. I'm interested to work on this to gain more experience with maintaining an open source project, especially since this one doesn't seem very demanding at the moment. Are you familiar with Pieter Hintjens work and ideas on OS software? I find his C4 model (Collective Code Construction Contract) to be very interesting and I'm open to trying that out. See here for more context: https://hintjens.gitbooks.io/social-architecture/content/chapter4.html (The rest of the book is interesting as well.) Kind regards, Jonathan van Alteren Founding Member | Object Guild B.V. Sustainable Software for Purpose-Driven Organizations jvalteren@objectguild.com On 31 Aug 2020, 17:37 +0200, Torsten Bergmann , wrote: > Hi Jonathan, > > nice, thanks for investing time and effort into this. Such utilities are needed for serious applications. Some thoughts and questions: > >  1. What is the mid-term or long-term plan regarding collaboration? Will you be able to step in as maintainer? > >  2. As it already seems to be authored by several people and contains functionality of general interest it should be considered to move it to >      a central community place like https://github.com/pharo-contributions[https://github.com/pharo-contributions/Cryptography]/ where several people from community have already >      access. It would then be in alignment with https://github.com/pharo-contributions/Cryptography[https://github.com/pharo-contributions/Cryptography] too and maintenance of > contributions as well as releases could be done from different sides and more centrally. > >      You and anyone can then regulary fork from the community repo to an own (customized) repo like https://github.com/objectguild/Crypto-Nacl > >      I guess Esteban can add you as contributor to "pharo-contribution" organization if you follow that path. > >  3. I guess LICENSE file need to be updated to give additionall credit to the original authors or mention more general "Pharo community" >      (currently it mentions Object Guild solely) > >  4. Can it be changed to use "NaCl" instead of "Nacl" which is more suitable name for Sodium  (a similar name fixing was done in the Cuis port too) > >  5. Would it be possible to add some expressions/samples or docu in the README for end users on how to use it. This would give people a quick guide > on how to do things. > >  6. Any plans for making it work on Windows too? > > Thanks > Torsten > > > Gesendet: Montag, 31. August 2020 um 09:52 Uhr > Von: "Jonathan van Alteren" <jvalteren@objectguild.com> > An: "Any question about pharo is welcome" <pharo-users@lists.pharo.org> > Betreff: [Pharo-users] ported and refreshed Crypto-Nacl to GitHub (from StH) > > Hi all, > > I wanted to let you know that I ported the Crypto-Nacl library from SmalltalkHub to GitHub here: https://github.com/objectguild/Crypto-Nacl[https://github.com/objectguild/Crypto-Nacl] > > The original author is Tony Garnock-Jones, with contributions from Hernán Morales Durand. See the README for more details. > > Libsodium has evolved a lot over time, which means that there is plenty of additional functionality that can be unlocked through this library. I don't have a need for it at the moment, but that might change in the near future. My interest is in using the cryptographic features to enhance security of business applications. > > Oh, and thanks to the Buenos Aires Smalltalk team (https://github.com/ba-st/[https://github.com/ba-st/]) for inspiration on using GitHub Actions with smalltalkCI :-) > > > Cheers, > > Jonathan van Alteren > > Founding Member | Object Guild B.V. > Sustainable Software for Purpose-Driven Organizations > > jvalteren@objectguild.com >
JV
Jonathan van Alteren
Thu, Sep 17, 2020 11:01 AM

Hi Torsten and anyone interested,

I know this project probably isn't critical for you, but for me it represents a nice opportunity to work on something visible in the broader community. With the limited time I currently have available, that is.

I would love to hear your feedback on my comments.

Gesendet: Montag, 31. August 2020 um 09:52 Uhr
Von: "Jonathan van Alteren" jvalteren@objectguild.com
An: "Any question about pharo is welcome" pharo-users@lists.pharo.org

[...]

Hi Torsten and anyone interested, I know this project probably isn't critical for you, but for me it represents a nice opportunity to work on something visible in the broader community. With the limited time I currently have available, that is. I would love to hear your feedback on my comments. Cheers! Jonathan van Alteren Founding Member | Object Guild B.V. Sustainable Software for Purpose-Driven Organizations jvalteren@objectguild.com On 8 Sep 2020, 17:10 +0200, Jonathan van Alteren <jvalteren@objectguild.com>, wrote: > Hi Torsten, > > Thanks for your message, those are some good questions/comments. >  1. Looking at the frequency of the last commits on SmalltalkHub, I think I can step in as maintainer for the moment. Please let me know if you think something needs to be changed/added to the README to reflect that. >  2. Although I am fine with making it more accessible to the community, I think it should not be integrated in the Cryptography repository. If I am correct, the Cryptography packages are a standalone, native implementation of ASN1 and several cryptography related libraries. Crypto-Nacl is a wrapper for Libsodium which uses uFFI, and will therefore only support features that Sodium offers. > > What are criteria for a repository to be placed under the pharo-contributions organization? >  3. Thanks, I've updated the LICENSE file to add Tony and Hernán. >  4. I changed the name earlier, but decided to revert to the original name in SmalltalkHub. If a name change is warranted, I think it should be libsodium-pharo, since the original NaCl library has been superseded by Sodium and other libsodium bindings follow a similar naming convention (see https://github.com/search?q=libsodium&type=Repositories) >  5. Of course it would. At the moment, I only migrated the project from SmalltalkHub, refreshed a small bit of code and enabled smalltalkCI with GitHub Actions. Currently, you'd need to look at the tests for some examples. > > Any particular examples you would be interested in? Perhaps you can open an issue with a request. >  6. It might already work on Windows, since the Nacl FFILibrary defines 'libsodium.dll' as win32 module (library) name. However, I don't currently run any Windows systems, so that would be a good opportunity for a contribution. Is that something you can help with? > > Thanks again for the feedback. I'm interested to work on this to gain more experience with maintaining an open source project, especially since this one doesn't seem very demanding at the moment. > > Are you familiar with Pieter Hintjens work and ideas on OS software? I find his C4 model (Collective Code Construction Contract) to be very interesting and I'm open to trying that out. > > See here for more context: https://hintjens.gitbooks.io/social-architecture/content/chapter4.html > (The rest of the book is interesting as well.) > > > Kind regards, > > Jonathan van Alteren > > Founding Member | Object Guild B.V. > Sustainable Software for Purpose-Driven Organizations > > jvalteren@objectguild.com > On 31 Aug 2020, 17:37 +0200, Torsten Bergmann , wrote: > > Hi Jonathan, > > > > nice, thanks for investing time and effort into this. Such utilities are needed for serious applications. Some thoughts and questions: > > > >  1. What is the mid-term or long-term plan regarding collaboration? Will you be able to step in as maintainer? > > > >  2. As it already seems to be authored by several people and contains functionality of general interest it should be considered to move it to > >      a central community place like https://github.com/pharo-contributions[https://github.com/pharo-contributions/Cryptography]/ where several people from community have already > >      access. It would then be in alignment with https://github.com/pharo-contributions/Cryptography[https://github.com/pharo-contributions/Cryptography] too and maintenance of > > contributions as well as releases could be done from different sides and more centrally. > > > >      You and anyone can then regulary fork from the community repo to an own (customized) repo like https://github.com/objectguild/Crypto-Nacl > > > >      I guess Esteban can add you as contributor to "pharo-contribution" organization if you follow that path. > > > >  3. I guess LICENSE file need to be updated to give additionall credit to the original authors or mention more general "Pharo community" > >      (currently it mentions Object Guild solely) > > > >  4. Can it be changed to use "NaCl" instead of "Nacl" which is more suitable name for Sodium  (a similar name fixing was done in the Cuis port too) > > > >  5. Would it be possible to add some expressions/samples or docu in the README for end users on how to use it. This would give people a quick guide > > on how to do things. > > > >  6. Any plans for making it work on Windows too? > > > > Thanks > > Torsten > > > > > > Gesendet: Montag, 31. August 2020 um 09:52 Uhr > > Von: "Jonathan van Alteren" <jvalteren@objectguild.com> > > An: "Any question about pharo is welcome" <pharo-users@lists.pharo.org> > > Betreff: [Pharo-users] ported and refreshed Crypto-Nacl to GitHub (from StH) > > > > Hi all, > > > > I wanted to let you know that I ported the Crypto-Nacl library from SmalltalkHub to GitHub here: https://github.com/objectguild/Crypto-Nacl[https://github.com/objectguild/Crypto-Nacl] > > > > The original author is Tony Garnock-Jones, with contributions from Hernán Morales Durand. See the README for more details. > > > > Libsodium has evolved a lot over time, which means that there is plenty of additional functionality that can be unlocked through this library. I don't have a need for it at the moment, but that might change in the near future. My interest is in using the cryptographic features to enhance security of business applications. > > > > Oh, and thanks to the Buenos Aires Smalltalk team (https://github.com/ba-st/[https://github.com/ba-st/]) for inspiration on using GitHub Actions with smalltalkCI :-) > > > > > > Cheers, > > > > Jonathan van Alteren > > > > Founding Member | Object Guild B.V. > > Sustainable Software for Purpose-Driven Organizations > > > > jvalteren@objectguild.com > >
SD
Stéphane Ducasse
Thu, Sep 17, 2020 5:45 PM

On 17 Sep 2020, at 13:01, Jonathan van Alteren jvalteren@objectguild.com wrote:

Hi Torsten and anyone interested,

I know this project probably isn't critical for you, but for me it represents a nice opportunity to work on something visible in the broader community. With the limited time I currently have available, that is.

Thanks for this jonathan. I appreciate it.

[...]

4. I changed the name earlier, but decided to revert to the original name in SmalltalkHub. If a name change is warranted, I think it should be libsodium-pharo, since the original NaCl library has been superseded by Sodium and other libsodium bindings follow a similar naming convention (see https://github.com/search?q=libsodium&type=Repositories https://github.com/search?q=libsodium&type=Repositories)

Are you familiar with Pieter Hintjens work and ideas on OS software? I find his C4 model (Collective Code Construction Contract https://rfc.zeromq.org/spec/42/) to be very interesting and I'm open to trying that out.

See here for more context: https://hintjens.gitbooks.io/social-architecture/content/chapter4.html https://hintjens.gitbooks.io/social-architecture/content/chapter4.html

Gesendet: Montag, 31. August 2020 um 09:52 Uhr
Von: "Jonathan van Alteren" jvalteren@objectguild.com
An: "Any question about pharo is welcome" pharo-users@lists.pharo.org