Getting started with the easy projects

RO
Richard O'Keefe
Sat, Apr 27, 2024 4:08 AM

https://github.com/orgs/pharo-project/projects/8
lists some easy projects.  I'd like to make a contribution.
Where are the instructions on how to sign up and what
to do?  Fair warning, I'll probably need a bit of hand-holding...

https://github.com/orgs/pharo-project/projects/8 lists some easy projects. I'd like to make a contribution. Where are the instructions on how to sign up and what to do? Fair warning, I'll probably need a bit of hand-holding...
SD
stephane ducasse
Sat, Apr 27, 2024 9:05 AM

Hi richard

https://github.com/orgs/pharo-project/projects/8
lists some easy projects.  I'd like to make a contribution.

Cool.
The first thing I suggest is to take the stupidiest issue like adding a comment in a method
or fixing a badly written comment and make a PR.
I like to do this trivial things because there are easy to give a positive slant on my energy.

Where are the instructions on how to sign up and what
to do?  Fair warning, I'll probably need a bit of hand-holding…

For the contributions feel free to pick what you like

  • Some easy things are: better comments, improving test coverage
  • Now I’m pretty sure that we can get collection improvements
  • This one could interest you: underscores in numeric literals
    https://github.com/pharo-project/pheps/pull/18/files
    We had long design discussions and I think that the result is good but we never got the time to implement it.

Stéphane Ducasse
http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr
06 30 93 66 73

"If you knew today was your last day on earth, what would you do differently? ....ESPECIALLY if, by doing something different, today might not be your last day on earth.” Calvin & Hobbes

Hi richard > https://github.com/orgs/pharo-project/projects/8 > lists some easy projects. I'd like to make a contribution. Cool. The first thing I suggest is to take the stupidiest issue like adding a comment in a method or fixing a badly written comment and make a PR. I like to do this trivial things because there are easy to give a positive slant on my energy. > Where are the instructions on how to sign up and what > to do? Fair warning, I'll probably need a bit of hand-holding… For the contributions feel free to pick what you like - Some easy things are: better comments, improving test coverage - Now I’m pretty sure that we can get collection improvements - This one could interest you: underscores in numeric literals https://github.com/pharo-project/pheps/pull/18/files We had long design discussions and I think that the result is good but we never got the time to implement it. S Stéphane Ducasse http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr 06 30 93 66 73 "If you knew today was your last day on earth, what would you do differently? ....ESPECIALLY if, by doing something different, today might not be your last day on earth.” Calvin & Hobbes
RO
Richard O'Keefe
Fri, May 3, 2024 10:28 AM

What I was really asking was about the very basic mechanics of it.
"Where are the instructions about how to sign up"
meant "do I have to register somewhere and if so where and how?"
"Where are the instructions about what to do"
meant "suppose I have registered and have the latest Pharo open
on my laptop; how do I connect to the repository, how do I submit
a change for review?"  I have been playing with Pharo since version 1
but I've never actually connected to a repository.

I think a "Complete Idiot's Guide to Getting Started with Distributed
Development in Phraro" probably already exists somewhere, I just
don't know where to look for it.

On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 at 21:05, stephane ducasse
stephane.ducasse@inria.fr wrote:

[...]

What I was really asking was about the very basic mechanics of it. "Where are the instructions about how to sign up" meant "do I have to register somewhere and if so where and how?" "Where are the instructions about what to do" meant "suppose I have registered and have the latest Pharo open on my laptop; how do I connect to the repository, how do I submit a change for review?" I have been playing with Pharo since version 1 but I've never actually connected to a repository. I think a "Complete Idiot's Guide to Getting Started with Distributed Development in Phraro" probably already exists somewhere, I just don't know where to look for it. On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 at 21:05, stephane ducasse <stephane.ducasse@inria.fr> wrote: > > Hi richard > > https://github.com/orgs/pharo-project/projects/8 > lists some easy projects. I'd like to make a contribution. > > > Cool. > The first thing I suggest is to take the stupidiest issue like adding a comment in a method > or fixing a badly written comment and make a PR. > I like to do this trivial things because there are easy to give a positive slant on my energy. > > Where are the instructions on how to sign up and what > to do? Fair warning, I'll probably need a bit of hand-holding… > > > For the contributions feel free to pick what you like > > - Some easy things are: better comments, improving test coverage > - Now I’m pretty sure that we can get collection improvements > - This one could interest you: underscores in numeric literals > https://github.com/pharo-project/pheps/pull/18/files > We had long design discussions and I think that the result is good but we never got the time to implement it. > > S > > > > > Stéphane Ducasse > http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr > 06 30 93 66 73 > > "If you knew today was your last day on earth, what would you do differently? ....ESPECIALLY if, by doing something different, today might not be your last day on earth.” Calvin & Hobbes > > > > >
SJ
Sebastian Jordan Montano
Fri, May 3, 2024 12:27 PM

You have the guide how to contribute to a fix in Pharo: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/wiki/Contribute-a-fix-to-Pharo

Sebastian

[...]

You have the guide how to contribute to a fix in Pharo: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/wiki/Contribute-a-fix-to-Pharo Sebastian ----- Mail original ----- > De: "Richard O'Keefe" <raoknz@gmail.com> > À: "Any question about pharo is welcome" <pharo-users@lists.pharo.org> > Envoyé: Vendredi 3 Mai 2024 12:28:16 > Objet: [Pharo-users] Re: Getting started with the easy projects > What I was really asking was about the very basic mechanics of it. > "Where are the instructions about how to sign up" > meant "do I have to register somewhere and if so where and how?" > "Where are the instructions about what to do" > meant "suppose I have registered and have the latest Pharo open > on my laptop; how do I connect to the repository, how do I submit > a change for review?" I have been playing with Pharo since version 1 > but I've never actually connected to a repository. > > I think a "Complete Idiot's Guide to Getting Started with Distributed > Development in Phraro" probably already exists somewhere, I just > don't know where to look for it. > > On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 at 21:05, stephane ducasse > <stephane.ducasse@inria.fr> wrote: >> >> Hi richard >> >> https://github.com/orgs/pharo-project/projects/8 >> lists some easy projects. I'd like to make a contribution. >> >> >> Cool. >> The first thing I suggest is to take the stupidiest issue like adding a comment >> in a method >> or fixing a badly written comment and make a PR. >> I like to do this trivial things because there are easy to give a positive slant >> on my energy. >> >> Where are the instructions on how to sign up and what >> to do? Fair warning, I'll probably need a bit of hand-holding… >> >> >> For the contributions feel free to pick what you like >> >> - Some easy things are: better comments, improving test coverage >> - Now I’m pretty sure that we can get collection improvements >> - This one could interest you: underscores in numeric literals >> https://github.com/pharo-project/pheps/pull/18/files >> We had long design discussions and I think that the result is good but we never >> got the time to implement it. >> >> S >> >> >> >> >> Stéphane Ducasse >> http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr >> 06 30 93 66 73 >> >> "If you knew today was your last day on earth, what would you do differently? >> ....ESPECIALLY if, by doing something different, today might not be your last >> day on earth.” Calvin & Hobbes >> >> >> >>
SD
stephane ducasse
Sat, May 4, 2024 1:10 PM

Hi richard

I can write something once you have a look at the video and let me know what you would like to know.

Hi richard I can write something once you have a look at the video and let me know what you would like to know. S > On 3 May 2024, at 14:27, Sebastian Jordan Montano <sebastian.jordan@inria.fr> wrote: > > You have the guide how to contribute to a fix in Pharo: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/wiki/Contribute-a-fix-to-Pharo > > Sebastian > > ----- Mail original ----- >> De: "Richard O'Keefe" <raoknz@gmail.com> >> À: "Any question about pharo is welcome" <pharo-users@lists.pharo.org> >> Envoyé: Vendredi 3 Mai 2024 12:28:16 >> Objet: [Pharo-users] Re: Getting started with the easy projects > >> What I was really asking was about the very basic mechanics of it. >> "Where are the instructions about how to sign up" >> meant "do I have to register somewhere and if so where and how?" >> "Where are the instructions about what to do" >> meant "suppose I have registered and have the latest Pharo open >> on my laptop; how do I connect to the repository, how do I submit >> a change for review?" I have been playing with Pharo since version 1 >> but I've never actually connected to a repository. >> >> I think a "Complete Idiot's Guide to Getting Started with Distributed >> Development in Phraro" probably already exists somewhere, I just >> don't know where to look for it. >> >> On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 at 21:05, stephane ducasse >> <stephane.ducasse@inria.fr> wrote: >>> >>> Hi richard >>> >>> https://github.com/orgs/pharo-project/projects/8 >>> lists some easy projects. I'd like to make a contribution. >>> >>> >>> Cool. >>> The first thing I suggest is to take the stupidiest issue like adding a comment >>> in a method >>> or fixing a badly written comment and make a PR. >>> I like to do this trivial things because there are easy to give a positive slant >>> on my energy. >>> >>> Where are the instructions on how to sign up and what >>> to do? Fair warning, I'll probably need a bit of hand-holding… >>> >>> >>> For the contributions feel free to pick what you like >>> >>> - Some easy things are: better comments, improving test coverage >>> - Now I’m pretty sure that we can get collection improvements >>> - This one could interest you: underscores in numeric literals >>> https://github.com/pharo-project/pheps/pull/18/files >>> We had long design discussions and I think that the result is good but we never >>> got the time to implement it. >>> >>> S >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> Stéphane Ducasse >>> http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr >>> 06 30 93 66 73 >>> >>> "If you knew today was your last day on earth, what would you do differently? >>> ....ESPECIALLY if, by doing something different, today might not be your last >>> day on earth.” Calvin & Hobbes >>> >>> >>> >>> Stéphane Ducasse http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr 06 30 93 66 73 "If you knew today was your last day on earth, what would you do differently? ....ESPECIALLY if, by doing something different, today might not be your last day on earth.” Calvin & Hobbes