[Pharo-users] Why is #findString: in accessing?

Tim Mackinnon tim at testit.works
Mon Feb 25 06:19:32 EST 2019

I always struggle (even after years of casually using smalltalk) to find the String methods that do the heavy lifting (and are comparable to other languages). The methods are normally there, but they often have names that don’t compare well with other languages.

I think that what doesn’t help is the categorisation of methods in String - for example - if I want to do some searching in a String - why is #findString: in ‘accessing’ - I totally didn’t think to look in there. To be honest, I really wanted a protocol called ‘searching’ - but its not there?

I find the protocols in the system to be pretty bad in all honesty. Its a good idea, but I don’t think its clear on whether its protocol, or category. And if the former - where are the tools to help ensure things conform to a protocol? If the latter - where are the useful, commonly used categories?

Are there any plans to do anything in this area - or is it just a lump it scenario?

Tim