[Pharo-users] Zinc Error Hierarchy

Esteban Maringolo emaringolo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 17:47:12 EST 2019

El jue., 21 feb. 2019 a las 19:11, Sven Van Caekenberghe
(<sven at stfx.eu>) escribió:
> > On 21 Feb 2019, at 22:37, Esteban Maringolo <emaringolo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know, but note that the exceptions in Zinc-HTTP-Exceptions are not the only ones used, there are also those in Resource-Meta and Character-Encoding, and all system Networking errors (those are quite common, ConnectionTimedOut, ConnectionClosed).
>
> Zinc is certainly not 'closed' under its own exception set, it is too complex for that.

I understand.

> I also typically allow code to throw exceptions freely, instead of trying to handle them. I do try to make each exception as meaningful as possible (not just self error: 'xyz'), but I tend to reuse existing exception classes in many cases, if that makes sense.
> And if you are a REST client, you also have to handle all HTTP exception classes intelligently (you know, not found is not the same as unauthorised or wrong request, often errors have a useful payload).

I understand, and for the most part I have the same strategy.

> In my own REST client, I turn REST exceptions into something more meaningful, and let the others bubble up. So, some high level code will basically do [ ] on: Error do: [ ] but often with some logging.

I'm taking a similar approach, so I let code fail as early as possible
and let exceptions bubble up. So in this case I'm handling Exceptions
and also API errors and signalling them with a particular error class.
Although this API (CouchDB) doesn't have error codes or something
meaningful to use as a key to throw different exceptions.

> This is not such an easy subject, but an interesting one.

It certainly is.

Thank you.

Esteban A. Maringolo