[Pharo-users] Zinc Error Hierarchy

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at stfx.eu
Thu Feb 21 17:10:20 EST 2019

> On 21 Feb 2019, at 22:37, Esteban Maringolo <emaringolo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all, Sven, :-)
>
> I'm writing some client REST API code and need to handle errors in the
> call, and found that all Errors are direct descendants of the Error
> class, why aren't Zinc Errors descendants of a common ZnError class?
>
> Regards,
>
> Esteban A. Maringolo

I don't know, but note that the exceptions in Zinc-HTTP-Exceptions are not the only ones used, there are also those in Resource-Meta and Character-Encoding, and all system Networking errors (those are quite common, ConnectionTimedOut, ConnectionClosed).

Zinc is certainly not 'closed' under its own exception set, it is too complex for that.

I also typically allow code to throw exceptions freely, instead of trying to handle them. I do try to make each exception as meaningful as possible (not just self error: 'xyz'), but I tend to reuse existing exception classes in many cases, if that makes sense.

And if you are a REST client, you also have to handle all HTTP exception classes intelligently (you know, not found is not the same as unauthorised or wrong request, often errors have a useful payload).

In my own REST client, I turn REST exceptions into something more meaningful, and let the others bubble up. So, some high level code will basically do [ ] on: Error do: [ ] but often with some logging.

This is not such an easy subject, but an interesting one.

HTH,

Sven