[Pharo-users] Pluralising messages or choosing word alternatives

Tim Mackinnon tim at testit.works
Wed Feb 20 16:07:38 EST 2019

I was browsing some of the Pharo issues (always worth doing) - and noticed an interesting one about Test results reporting and pluralisation
(https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/2578)

In it, I hadn't noticed String>>asPluralBasedOn: before (and judging from many messages in the image, many others hadn't either).

I'm fixing something similar for a refactoring bug and can use this technique there (although from memory, it comes with a health warning as if ever we want to internalise the messages in Pharo, this will need a different approach). However we are probably a distance from doing that - so cleaning up what we have is a good start.

Anyway I was curious if there is something to help with messages like:

‘There is 1 occurrence of {1}’  vs ‘There are many occurrences of {1}’, which I’d like to write something like:

‘There ‘,  (‘is 1 ’, ‘are many ’) pick: result size, ‘occurrence’ asPluralBasedOn: result size, ‘ ‘,  result printString.

Tim