[Pharo-users] how to test, if the class has "shared identity" of instances in the whole image (SmallIntegers, Symbols...)

Richard O'Keefe raoknz at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 15:40:12 EST 2019

It is not clear to me what the semantics of such a selector would be.
Consider this example:
 t := [:x | x copy == x].
 a := t value: 1.0e38.
 b := t value: 1.0e308.
What do you expect a and b to be?
GNU Smalltalk: a=true, b=true.
My Smalltalk, 32-bit or 64-bit: a=true, b=true.
Squeak/Pharo, 32-bit: a=false, b=false.
Squeak/Pharo, 64-bit: a=true, b=false.
Squeak/Pharo, after a patch: a=true, b=true.

There are two quite different reasons why x copy == x
might be true:
* x is immutable (including its parts), and can be
  thought of as a mathematical value, so that there
  is no need to copy it
  Examples: every kind of number, characters,
  booleans, immutable collections, block closures
* x is a way of accessing a unique resource, and
  should not be copied, so making copy the identity
  is a safety measure.
  Examples: Semaphores, Mutexes, SharedQueues, data base
  connections, some kinds of streams, singletons.
* Laziness or error (inherited method not revised).

What is your use case?