[Pharo-users] Pharo general questions for a commercial application

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at stfx.eu
Wed Feb 20 05:17:59 EST 2019

Hi Bruno,

> On 20 Feb 2019, at 02:26, BrunoBB <smalltalk at adinet.com.uy> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> My name is Bruno i'been using Smalltalk since 1999 for commercial
> applications, mostly Dolphin, GemStone/S and Visual Works.
>
> Now we have a commercial project and we are going to use Pharo :)

Great !

> So we have some general questions.
>
> 1) Which version of Pharo to use in a production deployment 6.1 or 7.0 ?

7.0.1 for sure.

> 2) We need a local database to Pharo app, which open source database is
> better to use with Pharo: mysql, postgree or .... In term of packages for
> Pharo.
> There is https://guillep.github.io/DBXTalk/ but i do not know if is up to
> date.

There are multiple options. I think with your background/experience, it comes down mostly to your own preferences. What do you like to use (SQL or not) ? How much assistance do you need (object mapper or not) ?

There are also

https://github.com/svenvc/P3 (a newer PostgreSQL client).

http://books.pharo.org/booklet-Voyage/ (non-SQL)

http://books.pharo.org/booklet-Glorp/ (Object Mapper)

> 3) There is any documentation about deployment and maintenance for a Pharo +
> Seaside app ?
> I have found "2016-10-06-EnterprisePharo.pdf" but may there are other
> sources...

Here too, you have many options, depending on style/experience. Like you said:

There is https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/DeploymentWeb/DeployForProduction.html ?

You can also study this https://github.com/svenvc/pharo-server-tools

In any case, this is a solved problem (apart from session sharing, but you can get far with session affinity).

Please keep on asking questions, so that we can help you with your technology/stack POC.

Sven