[Pharo-users] Iceberg working with forks - can it be easier?

Guillermo Polito guillermopolito at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 04:09:43 EST 2019

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 7:50 AM Konrad Hinsen <konrad.hinsen at fastmail.net>
wrote:

> Am 18.02.19 um 01:19 schrieb Tim Mackinnon:
>
> > Hey Ben - I’m not sure that this actually does the same thing. I just
> > tried it now, and it resulted in an extra merge in my forked repo - as I
> > think this effectively pulls down from upstream into pharo and then if
> > you have any differences in your local image copy they might cause some
> > changes which then you would push back into your fork origin.
> >
> > If you just want a verbatim copy in your fork - you have to resort the
> > command line?
>
> That's at least what I do:
>
>     git pull upstream master
>     git push origin master
>
> I am pretty sure these basic operations are somewhere accessible in the
> Iceberg code, but I have no idea how.

You can do these two from the UI :)
You cannot do (from the UI)
 - a push --force
 - a reset

You can do the reset from Iceberg's API, but you the force is not
implemented yet...

> Iceberg would definitely gain from having a documented programmer's
> interface. Git is way too complicated for a point-and-click interface to
> be sufficient. I'd even say that "scriptable git" could become a Pharo
> killer feature if done well.

This will soon come ;)
At least the documented API for the most common features (then ones that
are stable enough ^^).
It's just people in our team is super busy...

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189