[Pharo-users] Iceberg working with forks - can it be easier?

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Sat Feb 16 01:19:39 EST 2019

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 at 02:06, Tim Mackinnon <tim at testit.works> wrote:

> Hi guys - I’ve spent a few hours scratching my head trying to understand
> why some of my Pull Requests to a project I had forked kept showing my
> previous commits when I thought I was all caught up.
>
> It suddenly dawned on me, that when I had forked, and then done some work
> and then submitted a PR, and then applied it upstream that my fork is now
> no longer in sync with its upstream counterpart.
>
> Having not done this in ages, it took me a while to then realise I have to
> do some git stuff to get it back in sync e.g. (and I think I’ve got this
> right)
>
> git fetch upstream (or whatever name you gave it)
> Git checkout master
> Git merge upstream/master
>
> So I guess my question is - wouldn’t it be helpful if this was a command
> in Iceberg? It seems quite common to fork a project (I think this is still
> recommended for pharo itself isn’t it?) - and then at some point you need
> to catchup with that origin again? Or am I missing something? I guess lots
> of stuff can go wrong - but if it does - you’d still get the same problems
> on the command line. It just seems that for normal situations - it would be
> handy to run this straight in Pharo.

I'm not fully-conversant with Iceberg, but if I guess right...
in Iceberg, right-click a repo and open its "Repository" window.
In the top-right click the "Add remote" button, to add the upstream repo.
That button is a bit hidden there.  It might be nice to have it as a menu
item on "Remotes" in the first pane.
Then click the <Merge> button, then select the upstream master branch and
you should be up to date.

cheers -ben