[Pharo-users] Iceberg working with forks - can it be easier?

Tim Mackinnon tim at testit.works
Fri Feb 15 13:05:50 EST 2019

Hi guys - I’ve spent a few hours scratching my head trying to understand why some of my Pull Requests to a project I had forked kept showing my previous commits when I thought I was all caught up.

It suddenly dawned on me, that when I had forked, and then done some work and then submitted a PR, and then applied it upstream that my fork is now no longer in sync with its upstream counterpart.

Having not done this in ages, it took me a while to then realise I have to do some git stuff to get it back in sync e.g. (and I think I’ve got this right)

git fetch upstream (or whatever name you gave it)
Git checkout master
Git merge upstream/master

So I guess my question is - wouldn’t it be helpful if this was a command in Iceberg? It seems quite common to fork a project (I think this is still recommended for pharo itself isn’t it?) - and then at some point you need to catchup with that origin again? Or am I missing something? I guess lots of stuff can go wrong - but if it does - you’d still get the same problems on the command line. It just seems that for normal situations - it would be handy to run this straight in Pharo.

Thoughts from the git experts?

Tim