[Pharo-users] Non-greedy RegEx?

Esteban Lorenzano estebanlm at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 05:26:33 EST 2019

If cre2 meets the standard and community agree, I do not care to be honest, I just mentioned PCRE because it is the “de facto standard” and we are tired of not being compatible :)

About an in-image solutions in general: Yes, it is better than rely in a solution like that.
Also about in-image solutions in general: It is harder to maintain them. We are a small community and we cannot allow us to have everything we need implemented in image. Using an FFI solution is a perfect valid way and IMO is preferred many times because of this maintainability issue.
Of course, it does not applies to all cases with same intensity :)
I don’t know the cost of maintain a regex lib in-image. I know at the moment is infinite because there is no-one there doing it (and I know I do now have the time). So we stay for years with a suboptimal solution :(

Anyway I want to point to some things I (In my “architect” role, or whatever is what I do here) I always think:

1- This solution is state-of-the-art?
2-  is it maintained or the cost to maintain it can be absorbed ?
	2.1- Is maintained by whom?
	2.2- Will this kick us back if maintainers leave?
3- is it well tested?
4- is it well documented?

People often forgets that making libraries is a commitment with your user community, is a lot more than “I do this and then I forget”. Of course you can proceed like that (and not few of my own projects are of use-and-throw), but we as “pharo makers” need to take this into account with priority to other variables.

Notice that “performance” is not in this list. I care a lot about performance, but I care a lot more about the other points.

Now, that does not means we do not make decisions we later regret (we are humans, after all… and this is a learning process).

Cheers,
Esteban