[Pharo-users] package extensions in Pharo 7.

Denis Kudriashov dionisiydk at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 06:05:38 EST 2019

Hi Paul.

вс, 3 февр. 2019 г., 19:57 PAUL DEBRUICKER pdebruic at gmail.com:

> Hi -
>

> Is there a way to create the protocol, then convert it to an extension,
> without adding a method to it between the time I create the protocol and
> convert it to an extension?

No.
In Calypso there is no such thing as extension protocol. There is explicit
packaging of methods. When you create method you can toggle extension
checkbox in status bar and select a package where method should be created.
Same procedure can be applied on existing method.

I tried to avoid star convention when I designed Calypso. I think it is a
ugly hack because package is not a protocol. But seems it is badly accepted
by people. So it could be reverted at some point. But I believe it is
better to improve/fix things which does not work well with current
approach.

Seems like it if the protocol is empty when I convert it to an extension it
> gets deleted rather than converted.

It needs to be improved to avoid such confusion

> Would anyone be interested in having the thing that parses protocol names
> automatically create extension protocols from names that start with *
> instead of rejecting them immediately?
>

> IS the new extension stuff cross platform compatible right now or do I
> have to do anything else to port these methods & protocols to Squeak and
> GemStone?

 Calypso only touches UI. Nothing is changed on how extension sources are
stored in files. It's stil based on star protocols. So it is compatible