[Pharo-users] pharo bash script with startup

Otto Behrens otto at finworks.biz
Wed Jun 27 22:21:41 EDT 2018

Thanks for the effort guys.

I tried to download the image, sources and vm separately (basically
extracted what https://get.pharo.org/64/61+vm does), but ran into fresh
trouble.

Firstly, is "wget -O - https://get.pharo.org/64/61+vm | bash" not risky in
terms of security? It should be quite possible to inject a lovely trojan
horse with this, or not?

Secondly, the pharo bash script that it generates is different to the one
in the zip. The directory structure (where the image & vm goes) is also
different. Why is that?

I started the image (http://files.pharo.org/get-files/61/pharo64.zip) with
the vm (http://files.pharo.org/get-files/61/pharo-linux-stable.zip), and
got the following, which I tried to do, but that did not take the message
away:

pthread_setschedparam failed: Operation not permitted
This VM uses a separate heartbeat thread to update its internal clock
and handle events.  For best operation, this thread should run at a
higher priority, however the VM was unable to change the priority.  The
effect is that heavily loaded systems may experience some latency
issues.  If this occurs, please create the appropriate configuration
file in /etc/security/limits.d/ as shown below:

cat <<END | sudo tee /etc/security/limits.d/pharo.conf
*      hard    rtprio  2
*      soft    rtprio  2
END

and report to the pharo mailing list whether this improves behaviour.

You will need to log out and log back in for the limits to take effect.

(I did do this).

I reverted to the deb package for now, because this have take some time and
I can't focus on it now.

I'll give it another shot soon, I hope