[Pharo-users] Microservices using Pharo

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at stfx.eu
Tue Jun 26 09:41:18 EDT 2018

> On 26 Jun 2018, at 15:24, Norbert Hartl <norbert at hartl.name> wrote:
>

>> Am 26.06.2018 um 14:52 schrieb Andrei Stebakov <lispercat at gmail.com>:
>>
>> Does anyone use Pharo for Miro services? I heard about Seaside and Teapot, just was wondering if Pharo can handle multiple simultaneous requests and if it can, where it reaches the limit.
>
> I use it extensively. I use Zinc-REST package to offer services. The answer how much it can handle in parallel is hard to answer. For this you need to tell what you are about to do. But a rule of thumb is not to exceed 5 parallel tasks that are working at the same time. But a lot of tasks have wait times while accessing another HTTP service, a database, a filesystem etc. For this you can easily go up to 10 I guess.
>
> But these numbers are more of a gut feeling then something scientific
>
> Norbert

A single ZnServer instance on a single image can handle thousands of requests per seconds (local network, very small payload, low concurrency). On a modern multi core / multi processor machine with lots of memory you can 10s if not 100s of Pharo image under a load balancer, provided you either do not share state or use high performance state sharing technology - this is the whole point of REST.

Of course, larger payloads, more complex operations, real world networking, etc will slow you down. And it is very easy to make some architectural or implementation error somewhere that makes everything slow. As they say, YMMV.

Sven