[Pharo-users] [Dynabook][Morphic][TLM][Geometry] Re: [ANN] GNU Dr. Geo release 18.06

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 23:41:10 EDT 2018

Hi Hilaire

This message is off-list as I do not have the capacity NOW  to
maintain a conversation on this list.

See my comments below

On 6/23/18, Hilaire <hilaire at drgeo.eu> wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> They call it Dynabook in the old time... Not yet there 40 years later,
> we are damn slow.

Yes indeed.
Actually on the hardware level and the software for reading (e-books)
and learning (teaching apps) the dynabook goal has been reached for
many years by now.

Even the price goal has been under-cut. For 100USD you get a nice
tablet which is considerably less than the 300....400 USD people
originally thought of.

And with OTG connections you may add a mouse and keyboard.
Raspberry Pi is also very affordable and has millions of users.

But just using laptops and PCs is also very fine.

> As an educator, I am all days frustrated with the computed tools we
> have, and the lack of integration.

This is the main point. Lack of integration. And "authoring
environments" for this.

> Anyones crazy enough to work on this challenge?

I think I am working on this. For quite some time. At the moment I
work with Squeak though.

But as Dr. Geo is using Morphic what I am doing may be extended to be
used there as well.

What I am doing is not so much inventing new things but making old
things work. The solutions are actually around. They need to be
documented and used. Demos and interaction is needed. Curriculum
integration is then also quite an effort.

I understand that you are in or around Geneva. Is that correct?

Kind regards
Hannes