[Pharo-users] Smalltalk Programming Competition

Tim Mackinnon tim at testit.works
Fri Jun 22 09:59:00 EDT 2018

Hey guys - lets just try and give this some support - I’d like to see something useful come out of it that hopefully can be applied to other countries. I’d really like to see some kids enjoy programming.

I once met one of the original participants of the Parc experiments who was ~14 at the time (he was much older when I met him). I commented that it must have been amazing, and he was a bit reflective and interestingly said that it almost ruined his life because while it was cool at the time - when they had to take it all away, he couldn’t code in the way he had enjoyed for a further 10 years….

Of course now we have an amazing environment, that not enough people actually know about, or take seriously enough - even though its produced most of what they take for granted today, AND is still busily pushing on things they will take for granted in another 1 years.

Richard - give it a shot and inspire some kids (and inspire me with some interesting problems or setups that you think might work)

I also notice that Kent Beck gave some support  - thats pretty cool!

Tim