[Pharo-users] Smalltalk Programming Competition

horrido horrido.hobbies at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 09:10:27 EDT 2018

Thanks, Ben! I did not know about CoderDojo. Yes, you have an excellent
suggestion for a different strategy. It is certainly one that is worthy of
adoption by another evangelist, and hopefully somebody will consider it.

There are three concerns. First, CoderDojo seems to be heavily invested in
Scratch, Python, and JavaScript. Whether I could convince them to include
Smalltalk as a key technology in their curriculum is up for question. If
it's only an optional, ancillary, or secondary technology, then it won't get
the breadth of coverage that I'm hoping for.

Second, CoderDojo is already well-established. There is little marketing
potential here. My campaign has always been, from the very start, heavily
marketing-oriented. My goal has always been to reach as many people as I
can, in the shortest period of time, with the greatest impact. That's
practically the definition of marketing.

Third, the JRM competition is my last hurrah. After this, I shall no longer
be a Smalltalk evangelist. I've worked very, very hard for four years and
it's time for me to take a well-deserved rest.

CoderDojo requires a longer-term commitment than I have energy for at this
time. I estimate that I can just complete the competition within the next
8-12 months.

Regarding the scholarship, yes, CA$2,000 is fairly rich, but
college/university tuition is very, very expensive here in North America (I
don't know about Australia). Much less than $2,000 and the competition
wouldn't be much of a public draw (again, from a marketing perspective). I'm
thinking of the world-renowned Waterloo math competitions with prizes
ranging from $200 (most common) to a high of $500. That doesn't exactly
tickle my nuts.

Depending on the level of funding, I am prepared to scale back a bit from
$2,000. If the contest is too chintzy, I won't be able to get local media
interested.

Ben Coman wrote