[Pharo-users] In Pharo 7 - are the Browsers in any particular order in the new menu?

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Thu Jun 21 22:25:04 EDT 2018

On 22 June 2018 at 06:03, Tim Mackinnon <tim at testit.works> wrote:

> Hi Cyril (nice work on the menu by the way) - I was thinking in the Tools
> menu they should both be at the top. For the world menu - I think maybe the
> consistency is better - and for the advanced user they can learnt he
> keyboard shortcuts?

I've been meaning to provide some feedback on this, but been giving myself
time to adapt first.

Generally I like the direction this is heading, but I find I'm really
missing the World-Menu > Save item.
When I'm playing with deep parts of the system where mistakes are likely to
break the Image, I use this often.
Actually its not awkward so much that its an extra level down, but that
"Save" is not at the top of its submenu.

Now as this arrangement is new, and I guess will become locked in when
Pharo 7 is released
(at the risk of bike shedding) can we experiment a bit with the arrangement.
I am finding that to open Browser and Playground I often accidentally go to
"Pharo" item first,
then correct myself to find them under "Tools".
I'm not sure if I'm expecting Browser to be under the first menu, or
expecting them under "Pharo".
I think maybe the latter.  For me the tools *are* Pharo.

So...
* Maybe rename the current "Pharo" to "File"? Its a common paradigm in many
application that the first top-level item is "File" with save/quit/etc. And
after, "saving" is the act of freezing the Image into a file.
* Rename current "Tools" to "Pharo" as the second top-level item.

Here is an experiment for anyone to try...

WorldState-class >> pharoItemsOn: aBuilder
    (aBuilder item: #Pharo)
+    label: 'File';
-     icon: ((self iconNamed: #pharo) scaledToSize: 20 @ 20);
+    icon: ((self iconNamed: #smallOpen) scaledToSize: 15 @ 15);

(aBuilder item: #Save)
+   order: 1

(aBuilder item: #'Save as...')
+   order: 2

(aBuilder item: #saveAndQuit)
+   order: 2 ; withSeparatorAfter

(aBuilder item: #Quit)
+  order: 9

AbstractTool-class >> menuCommandOn:
+    label: 'Pharo';
+    icon: ((self iconNamed: #pharo) scaledToSize: 20 @ 20);

SettingsBrowser-class >> menuCommandOn:
+ order: 5

cheers -ben

P.S. Other ideas...
Place the following together as separated pairs since they are similar
function
* Iceberg and Monticello
* Spotter and Finder