[Pharo-users] How to contribute to Calypso when it relies on pharo-core editors?

Guillermo Polito guillermopolito at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 03:38:45 EDT 2018

Hi Tim,

Yes, there you're experiencing the limits of our current process. We were
studying the usage of git subtrees/submodules/subrepos but none of them
seem a satisfying solution for what would give us a smooth contribution
process.

Now, we can enhance a bit the current status by adding calypso in the list
of iceberg projects. I agree with this. Actually putting Pharo and Iceberg
itself there is something we started to do slowly. There was this feeling
that people would complain "agh but I only want to see my projects not the
system ones". What I believe is that we are used to see and change all
packages in the system, that's in our "blood" as pharoers. So seeing all
loaded projects may confuse a bit newcomers but empower experts too...

Also, to answer your question about compatibility in Pharo6/7, or even
different Pharo7 versions, what I'd say is that the best way to do it is to
keep backwards compatibility when possible. Instead of removing/renaming
classes or methods, deprecate them. I'm aware that this is not always
possible, so trust your criteria.

Guille

--

Guille Polito