[Pharo-users] Project dependency management with Iceberg

Guillermo Polito guillermopolito at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 09:59:04 EDT 2018

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 3:16 PM Vitor Medina Cruz <vitormcruz at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> How do I do project dependency management with Iceberg?

This is still Metacello.

> I tried sometime ago but I was unable to understand how it work together
> with Metacello, is there some tutorial available?

Well, there is a chapter in the Deep Into Pharo book

http://files.pharo.org/books-pdfs/deep-into-pharo/2013-DeepIntoPharo-EN.pdf

But that covers ConfigurationOf only. The technical part on how you define
a dependency does not change too much between Configurations and Baselines.
The main difference is that
- a ConfigurationOf will store inside it several baselines (in baseline
methods) and several versions (in version methods)
- a BaselineOf defines a single baseline in a baseline method. And versions
are declared in the VCS using whatever you like the most, most commonly
being tags.

Then, inside a BaselineOf, if you want to define a dependency to a project
in github for example, you can specify it like this:

spec
baseline: 'Tonel'
with: [ spec repository: 'github://pharo-vcs/tonel:v1.0.9/src' ]

Where Tonel is the name of the project and the strangish url is then used
to construct a github url. So it's something like

[provider]://[owner-name]/[project-name][:version][/subdirectory]

- provider can be (so far) any of github, bitbucket, gitorious
- If version is ommited then it will just download the main branch (usually
master)
- Otherwise you can specify any commitish (commit hash, tag name, branch
name)
- If your source code is stored in a subdirectory of the repository, you
can specify it after the version.

Then, to load project you can either
- use the Metacello plugin from Iceberg (right click -> Metacello ->
Install baseline)
- evaluate a Metacello expression in the playground

Metacello new
    baseline: 'Tonel';
    repository: 'github://pharo-vcs/tonel:v1.0.9/src' ;
    load

Of course you can then just look for senders of #baseline:with: to see
other examples in the image.

Cheers,
Guille