[Pharo-users] Help contributing a fix to pharo - docs seem out of date again?

Tim Mackinnon tim at testit.works
Tue Jun 19 08:25:26 EDT 2018

Hi - a few weeks ago, I contributed a tiny fix to Pharo 7 -and the instructions seemed to work really well.

I’ve since come back to try and do some more over lunch (I was thinking I’d like to dig out the changes I worked out for using the AST and cursor to make senders/implements work properly and not just use the selected text).

My first problem was that my fork of Pharo from many months ago was out of date - I think the instructions on https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/wiki/Contribute-a-fix-to-Pharo <https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/wiki/Contribute-a-fix-to-Pharo> should probably mention this subtlety.

It took me ages to figure out what to do - this was the clue (https://help.github.com/articles/syncing-a-fork/ <https://help.github.com/articles/syncing-a-fork/>) - and of particular note the the tiny bit at the bottom to ensure you Push your changes back to your GitHub fork (I slightly complicated myself by using IntelliJ to do this - doable but you need to be aware of whats going on). I did this in a separate non-pharo directory (I think thats what you would recommend right? Then you can keep updating it from time to time?)

Having got my GitHub fork caught up with pharo/development - I then have the Local Repo Missing error (expected) - and now when I go to repair it I can either clone again (which is the instructions online) - or “Locate this repository in your file system”. As I’ve had to already check everything out to catch up to pharo/dev I chose to locate.

I then get a Fetch require msg (expected)

I then choose to use Fetch (I’m not sure what the Repair repository picture is now about?) - the text does mention I will become detached, so I’ve stuck to that

I’m not sure why the “solving a detached working copy” is further down the page - but I’ve jumped to that

It says I need to synchronise both (image and repo) - but then says its easier to do a branch - and then says a nice alternative is to create a temp branch like temp/synch - however I can’t see how to do that as there is only Crete new Branch from Issue now (the picture shows that plus New Branch).

Am I on the right track here? If I want try something out - do I just create myself a new issue (or is there a temp issue anyway?)

Tim