[Pharo-users] Smalltalk Programming Competition

horrido horrido.hobbies at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 23:08:59 EDT 2018

I appreciate what you're saying, and certainly the things you want to see
funded are worthwhile. However, the goals for my programming competition are
quite different, for example:

#1 – raise the public profile of Smalltalk across a broad swath of the
population in Canada and other countries. Word of mouth about the
competition will spread beyond Canada, esp. after the winners of the
competition gain some local media coverage.

#2 – generate excitement and interest in kids, esp. at the high school
level. There's nothing better than a sports-like competition to achieve
this.

#3 – by generating interest in kids, we seed the next generation of
programmers with knowledge and experience in Smalltalk. This is not unlike
the way interest in Linux grew from students in colleges and universities
throughout recent decades.

#4 – convince educators to include Smalltalk in their curriculums. I don't
know what programming languages are being taught in high schools, but I know
it's not Smalltalk. I tried reaching out to local school boards, but they
showed no interest.

In colleges and universities, the most commonly taught languages are Python
and Java. At least, that's the case in North America, I don't know about
Europe. I hope to open their eyes to Smalltalk.

This is a decidedly marketing-based approach, something that I don't believe
any other programming language has tried. It's a worthwhile experiment, and
that's why I hope Smalltalkers everywhere will stand behind it.

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote