[Pharo-users] Windows installation broken?

James Foster Smalltalk at JGFoster.net
Mon Jun 18 12:41:16 EDT 2018

> On Jun 18, 2018, at 10:47 AM, Herbert Vojčík <herby at mailbox.sk> wrote:
>
> Esteban Lorenzano wrote on 18. 6. 2018 16:04:
>> please restrain your self to talk like that in the future. Is rude and unnecessary.
>
> I won't. Sometimes it seems this kind of talk is needed. Windows launcher was not working for so long but it is still pushed as the default download option, because "higher goals" I presume. If this kind of talk helps to get rid of it until working (or make it finally actually work), it is anything but unnecessary.

“Sometimes" it seems necessary to be rude. If an insult is the only thing that works, "it is anything but unnecessary."

While one can make a case that arrogant, rude behavior is occasionally “necessary," you haven’t made it here. To do so you first need to show (1) not just that the problem existed but was reported a long time ago, (2) that other more gentle attempts to push the issue were unsuccessful, (3) that the benefit of the fix outweighs the cost of the damage you are doing to the community, and (4) that you are uniquely qualified to make that judgment. You have not satisfied any of those requirements.

Is this the way you treat your family? Are you managing a software team using this approach? Or do you limit this sort of behavior to on-line communities?

James Foster