[Pharo-users] Windows installation broken?

Herbert Vojčík herby at mailbox.sk
Mon Jun 18 10:47:41 EDT 2018

Esteban Lorenzano wrote on 18. 6. 2018 16:04:

>> On 18 Jun 2018, at 15:39, Herbert Vojčík <herby at mailbox.sk> wrote:
>>

>> horrido wrote on 18. 6. 2018 0:04:
>>> This is what concerns me. I don't care that there are workarounds
>>> (undocumented or hard to find).
>>> I care that Windows is a most popular development platform. I care that
>>> newcomers to Pharo easily find what they need to get started. I care about
>>> Pharo's reputation.
>>> The last thing Pharo needs is a black eye.
>>
>> Do you have enough balls to call out Steph for his obviously wrong decision to push Launcher down the users' throats and make him revert to working installers / zips? Cause AFAICT there's the bottleneck atm.
>
> First, it was MY decision.

My apologies to blaming Steph.

> I’m pushing launcher as the default download for Pharo since year now.
> Do I am happy with it not working on windows right now? Of course not. But pushing it also in windows has already forced us to fix some bugs there and a new version of the launcher (and a better Pharo on windows) and at the result will be good.
> I was going to suspend the launcher as the default download until a better version arrived, but I’ve been told that will happen this week, so I will wait.
>
> Second, we have a lot of bottlenecks, but is true this is important.
>
> Third, please restrain your self to talk like that in the future. Is rude and unnecessary.

I won't. Sometimes it seems this kind of talk is needed. Windows
launcher was not working for so long but it is still pushed as the
default download option, because "higher goals" I presume. If this kind
of talk helps to get rid of it until working (or make it finally
actually work), it is anything but unnecessary.

Herby