[Pharo-users] Tonel Fileout

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Sat Jun 16 10:38:42 EDT 2018

On 16 June 2018 at 17:13, Hilaire <hilaire at drgeo.eu> wrote:

> Hi Ben,
>
> I am not sure, but the purpose of Tonel is to propose a file
> representation of "one class=one file".

Sure thats how Tonel came about, and its how we mostly use it, but is this
an inherent limitation?
Each method is prefixed with its class, so from my 100ft viewpoint it seems
feasible to transport a whole package in one Tonel file.

Why not using Fileout st files to transfer the code?

The same question might be asked why Iceberg didn't just use a Fileout at
class level.
The Tonel format is more readable, especially minus the scattering of
exclamation marks.

I also meant to ask, what methods are used to file-in a Tonel file ?
Or more the point, what method process a string in Tonel format that has
been downloaded from a website?

Actually, hunting around a bit I found....

TonelParserTest >> testMethodDefList
shows that... ((TonelParser on: tonelString readStream)
perform: #methodDefList)
returns an array of MCMethodDefinitions that respond to #load
with...
MCMethodDefinition >> load
self actualClass
compile: source
classified: category
withStamp: timeStamp
notifying: nil

And...
TonelParserTest >> testTypeDef
shows that ((TonelParser on: tonelString readStream) perform: #typeDef)
returns a MCClassDefinition that also responds to #load
with...
MCClassDefinition >> load
self createClass

So as an experiment I deleted MCMockClassD,
then in playground evaluated...
    tonelString := (ZnEasy get: '
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pharo-project/pharo/development/src/MonticelloMocks/MCMockClassD.class.st')
contents.
    parser := (TonelParser on: tonelString readStream).
    classDef := parser perform: #typeDef.
    methodDefs := parser perform: #methodDefList.
    classDef load.
    methodDefs do: [ :md | md load ].

and super cool...   MCMockClassD>>one  was restored.
So is that the correct way to use it?

cheers -ben