[Pharo-users] Having STON generate flatter output

Peter Uhnák i.uhnak at gmail.com
Thu May 26 14:52:30 EDT 2016

Hi,

is it possible to configure STON to generate more flat output?

Imagine a scenario where an element can have children and the children have
reference to their parent

​
Now the problem is that the output of STON will depend on the order of the
items,
so if I have "nice" ordering for the following, I will get a flat output

​
If however the ordering is different, the output will be more nested

​
As the ordering is not stable, I often end up with results like this
(zoomed out)

​
The image above has depth of about fourteen, even though it could be
represented with just depth of four.

In the current state I cannot actually look at the generated output because
it's impossible to find anything, which is problematic when an error occurs.

So the question is if it is possible to push the actual objects as far up
as possible, and use references "@12" only on the deeper levels.

Thanks,
Peter