[Pharo-users] An Idea for a minimal self documented begineer friendly pharo image

Esteban Lorenzano estebanlm at gmail.com
Tue May 24 10:18:16 EDT 2016

> On 24 May 2016, at 16:11, Thierry Goubier <thierry.goubier at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well technically the python part works fine, BUT I also always wanted it to be friendly to begineers . So nope , its same project. And you are correct its still focused in coding 3d graphics but I came to realisation that if I want some people to use it, obviously i dont expect the massive majority to give up the comforts of python but for those that are curious I have to provide an enviroment thats is even easier to code in than python is currently for Blender.
>
> My goal is to provide a development enviroment for Blender addons that is simple, and easy to use and learn.
>
> So providing a minimal pharo image that is self documented has always being a dream for Ephestos.
>
> By the way whats the news on the matter of modular pharo image ? Is there any work done to provide a minimal pharo image ?
>
> There is a minimal image, which is I think usable as-is, except that what you want is something in between the minimal image (no gui, no tools) and a full image, and that is a bit complex to set-up.
>
> I started some work on doing that with Pharo4 (put a place with baselines I could use to load the HEAD of the Pharo main repository and load the right packages), but Pharo5 changed the way external projects are included, and my approach wasn't good anymore.
>
> I think the overall Pharo organisation could benefit from such an effort; it would exercise all the planned mechanisms for the modular image, in maybe an easier way than a modular full image, and with someone motivated to debug and maintain the process: you!

honestly, I wouldn’t.
working in a parallel image is too much work (believe me, I know something about keeping an image going).
Pavel and Christophe are working on the bootstrap process who should be working in one-two months, with that, building custom images will be finally a reality…from there you might want to give it a try.
But I would better invest on document (something that you have been doing very well and I’m very thankful for that) than in keeping alive what is, in fact, a fork.

cheers,
Esteban