[Pharo-users] StampClient produce only and dealing with heartbeat

Henrik Sperre Johansen henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no
Fri May 20 15:07:44 EDT 2016

+1.
Testing the RabbitMQ client (very cool, BTW) some time ago (which is
structured the same way with a single event loop), I ran into the same kind
of issues Holger describes; for example, bursts of incoming data would cause
a heartbeat to not be sent in time, and the server would drop connections.*

At least at the time, I couldn't see a way to solve those issues in a
reliable manner without resorting to using multiple threads** (but never got
around to implementing that)

Cheers,
Henry

* There also seemed to be drops related to what the client considered
activity that should reset the heartbeat timeout, and what the server seemed
to think, but even after (I think) fixing those, I could cause drops by
flooding the client with traffic

** Yes, I know, You can configure RabbitMQ to not use heartbeats, but
where's the fun in that??