[Pharo-users] Panama Papers: a case for reproducible research, data activism and frictionless data (powered by Pharo)

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas offray.luna at mutabit.com
Fri May 20 12:44:13 EDT 2016

Hi,

I'm glad to share my recent work with Pharo/Roassal in the form of a
minisite[1] and a detailed blog entry[2] arguing about interactive
environments for increasing understanding and participation in data
phenomena:

[1] http://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/panama-papers/doc/tip/index.html
[2] http://mutabit.com/offray/blog/en/entry/panama-papers-1

Using a relatively simple visualization I advocate for this case. The
bigger issues here were not related with visualization, but with
accuracy/completion of the information. For example the original
RTSVGPath includes only 167 world territories, but Panama Papers
mentions over 210. Improving accuracy lead to hunting a bug and to its
bugfix. So we have a more cleaver reader for SVG in Roassal. I was
fighting for several days with newbie errors (like the one on the
download bar not advancing, despite of the download being made).

I think that this are good exemplars on how Pharo Roassal is a superb
moldable and affordable platform on the issues of data oriented
reproducible research (in journalism and/or activism and others).

Comments and suggestions are welcomed, as always.

Cheers,

Offray