[Pharo-users] OSSubprocess for Windows discussion [WAS] Re: OSProcess in Pharo 5?

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Mon May 16 08:29:27 EDT 2016

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 9:25 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <
marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 11:19 AM, Ben Coman <btc at openinworld.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 8:06 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck
>> <marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > If you are only interested in Unix / Linux / OSX,
>>
>> What is the plan for Windows support?
>>

> I am not planning to add that. What I have found, is that tools that try
> to provide the same API for all platforms do not end up doing well or they
> limit the specific benefits of each custom platform. I

Sorry...shortcut sent email before I finished it.

I am not planning to add that. What I have found, is that tools that try to
provide the same API for all platforms do not end up doing well or they
limit the specific benefits of each custom platform. I very much prefer the
approach used by GitFileTree and others. That is... AT YOUR APPLICATION
level, you check wether you are on windows or not. If you are under
Linux/OSX, then you may want to use OSProcess / OSSubprocess. And if you
are in windows, then you may want to use ProcessWrapper. A simple IF or a
strategy or whatever that calls the right API. That way you can customize
the code for each platform better.

Finally, again, if someone wants a unified API, then I don't think it
should be at OSProcess / OSSubprocess level. I would write an API that
internally calls either ProcessWrapper or OS(Sub)Process. But I wouldn't
use that API as mentioned above.

Cheers,