[Pharo-users] Can you help me find this info?

stepharo stepharo at free.fr
Wed May 4 03:24:49 EDT 2016

Le 2/5/16 à 11:30, Victor RENE a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I am new to Pharo and would like to understand a few things.
> I can search by myself, but I do not know the code base yet, so:
>
> [Questions]
> Pharo image:
>     Serialization, deserialization, where is the code?
Are you talking about image or serialization of objects?

> Pharo vm (Cog/Spur):
>     Rendering loop and event loops. done with SDL2, where is the code?
Look at OSWindows in Pharo we are in transition.

>     Message passing, object hierarchy lookup, where is the code?

in the VM

> Pharo minimal:
>     How to get a working version? The builds I tried (4.0) crashed.
Can you tell us more?
We have different systems
     - miniimage which is built automatically by removing packges and
this is working so may be you use the wrong vm.

     - bootstrapped kernels
         will be in production in Pharo 60

     - specialized image
     we got down to 11k for 2+3 and 18k for 20 factorial
     this is experimental but hyper fun.

[Purpose]
> My goal is work out an image/vm with minimum overhead. For example,
>     let's say I want to build a modern multi-touch application.
     Yes we build that for Thales

>     Pharo's environment looks promising on the live coding/debugging side,
>     but what about the performance?
     It depends what you want to do. if this is real time, Pharo is not
a real time os
     After Thales are migrating to Pharo for their "prototype" of new
interactive UI.
> Lack of responsiveness would not be
>     acceptable (think about design differences between Android/iOS).
     We should do a pass on the Android VM and its event.

> [Context]
> I want to understand if the object oriented nature of Smalltalk is
>     the reason for the lack of apps of this nature (as far as I can tell).
     Lack of Marketing is the reason. Not the technology.
     Squeak run on PS2 in 300 k back in 2002 or befor.

> For example, games have been done with Lisp: Jack and Daxter (on the PS2,
>     by Naughty Dogs). There are also game engines for the JVM
>     (https://www.lwjgl.org/).
> Dedicated hardware has been built for either Lisp or Forth. I can't seem
>     to find any hardware built specifically to power Smalltalk software.
> Yet as far as I can tell, it's the big time for software virtual machines,
>     because the new generation of hardware will be supporting them.
>     (https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10032295)
     I do not know.

> UPDATE: I am reading through "Evaluating message passing control
> techniques
> in Smalltalk"
> (https://www.researchgate.net/publication/2440118_Evaluating_Message_Passing_Control_Techniques_in_Smalltalk).
> I am getting a better picture of the whole, please direct to more such
> papers.

it is an old paper. When I arrived from CLOS I wanted to know if I could
do the same.
Now I know and we can certainly do better at the MOP level.