[Pharo-users] Some Spotter Questions

Tudor Girba tudor at tudorgirba.com
Wed Jan 27 11:46:53 EST 2016

Hi,

> On Jan 27, 2016, at 4:54 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <sven at stfx.eu> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I managed to add a spotter extension and preview, but I still have some questions.

Thank you! Can you describe the extension?

> Is there some global top level overview documentation about writing Spotter extensions ?

Only some blog posts:
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=site:humane-assessment.com+GTSpotter

Writing a help is in progress. It would be very useful to drive it through your questions.

> Is the only way to add a 'global/first' search extension by adding a method to class GTSpotter itself ?

Yes.

> I don't see any other package do that (in a modular way), it feels a bit wrong compared to how modular the GT inspector is.

It is exactly the same design as the inspector. Every step in Spotter has an object as an input (like the inspector), and the first object when opening Spotter is an instance of GTSpotter.

> Is there a way to reuse a GT inspector view as a preview ? I tried that but it did not work, but what I copied over was 99% identical.

Not yet. The problem is the missing 1% :)

> Can you have tabs (multiple pages) in the preview ?

Not for now. At the moment, you can have multiple previews, and only the first one will be displayed.

> Is it possible to control on what tab an inspector opens when a matching item is clicked (like to maintain the same view as the preview) ?

No.

> What are some best practices for the order, exact matches, fast searching, etc … ?

Not much. The best practice is to simply watch the usage, and try to accommodate the best way :).

> Is it possible to search in multiple ways (multiple properties), not just collection -> itemName -> GTFilterSubstring ? (Say I want to search all fields of an address object).

Of course. Take a look at the GTFilter hierarchy, and you can just write your own.

> Searching for Color by name, or by RGB and other representations would seem like a good tutorial example (for me).

I am not sure I understand, but it sounds intriguing and I am looking for a case that we can use for a tutorial. Could you elaborate? Perhaps we can write this together.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com