[Pharo-users] Pharo + git workflow

Dimitris Chloupis kilon.alios at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 09:50:01 EST 2016

"You are telling me I should watch the video but I got the impression you
didn't read any of this thread before replying ;) Your video is not about
the problems I have. It is a beginner video how to use pharo and git
together and that's fine. I'm glad you did it.
I'm after a workflow that can be used as developer as well as in a
continuous integration server without introducing to many side effects.

thanks,

Norbert"

The problem is that both of your problems are not directly related to git,
Configurations and CI. Somewhate related yes but not directly.

Configurations are not that related because git and github are more than
capable into creating their own versions and their own releases and thank
you for touching this subject because i want to mention it in my future
video tutorial on pharo git. Git has several ways of doing this , git tags
or branches, while github adds releases also to that. The nice thing about
git and github is that it allow you to included also external assets, like
images, sounds, pdf, database files , any kind of file into your repo. But
you can also keep files outside the repo and still make github releases
with them, since github releases can contain external assets that do not
belong to the repo together with the repo in a single ZIP file. So this is
why we use Baseline and not Configurations when we work with git.

You will be correct to note that my video tutorial does not touch that part
and that is more begineer orientated, but then that is easy for me to
explain on a future video tutorial.

CI is another tool altgother, git is for version control, CI is for project
automatic packaging. It allow you to pull  a repo from a git or any other
kind of repo and run some tests on it and then build it or do all sort of
stuff on it before packaging together. Its a whole another chapter on
itself and a whole new set of video tutorials and my video wont help you
there, because CI is not related to git and if I made a video tutorial how
to use pharo + git with CI , it would have been a CI video tutorial and NOT
a pharo+git tutorial.

"
I do not agree on that point.
Myself and a lot of my friends use text documentation way more than videos.

Maybe you see more video documentation because you work in visual
stuff/3D. Graphical artists are more incline to use visual documentation
as video."

Definitely not the reason. I don't disagree with you that most people would
prefer to have text documentation to video documentation.

The nice thing about text documentation is easier to seek through and find
what you want. But documentation is not dictated by its users but rather
its creators. Video tutorial are far , far , far easier to make. Thus why
they have exploded in popularity.

To give you an example, lately I am learning C++ and looking into a
specific kind of IPC. IPC has nothing to do with 3d graphics its Inter
Process Communication, its what I use to make pharo talk to python with
sockets.

Now I am investigating the fastest form of IPC, shared memory and the most
popular implementation of shared memory, memory mapped files. Its just a
file that is uploaded to a part of the memory that then can be shared among
diffirent applications (processes) and you dont have to move data around
like you do with sockets and of course its a million times faster since its
just direct memory manipulation with pointers.

I wont even begin to describe my surprise about lack of documentation ,
text documentation about such a basic subject. Examples I found were mostly
C and Linux and I was searching C++ and Macos. I go youtube, BOOM! tons of
tutorials most of them the past year or two compared to very dated text
documentation (my best bet are blog posts for up to date info).

Messing around youtube with shared memory I found OpenMP shared memory, no
idea what that was, I use google to search what the hell that is, reading
website description about parrelism , makes a bit sense, but I want to know
more, trying to find documentation same website recommend me to go back to
YouTube to watch video tutorial by one of the dudes that made OpenMP. I
have read text docs about threads in the past with python , the irony is
that his video tutorial even though in C and using far more complex
concepts are  much easier to understand follow. And this is no small
library made by a random guy this freaking Intel and OpenMP is probably the
most popular library for multi threading currently and parrarely
programming.

I can go on, C++ 11 docs , youtube wins hands down, QT docs, youtube winds
hands down , pretty much any python library you can imagine , youtube wins
hands down.

Even I , prefer text documentation to video tutorials . I downloaded the
OpenMP pdf spec as I have pdfs for many libraries , QT , python etc. But I
am forced to use YouTube more and more because hands down is by far the
best resource of modern documentation, there is no comparison. And as
documentation creator I have to confess I prefer making video tutorials 10
times more than writting text because, well I am lazy and its just way way
way easier.