[Pharo-users] Pharo + git workflow

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Tue Jan 26 08:46:15 EST 2016

Dimitris,

> Am 26.01.2016 um 14:07 schrieb Dimitris Chloupis <kilon.alios at gmail.com>:
>
> fair enough, its obviously your choice, but please note that text documentation is slowly dying. And no I am not talking about Pharo documentation.

I don't really believe the text documentation is dying because I haven't seen a replacement for it. Even if it is dying I could decline that and prefer text documentation, no? :)

> As you probably aware of , book sales have plummeted the last decade that adsl connection speed has been rapidly rising. So there is not even a comparison between the quantity and quality of video tutorials compared to text tutorial which we see a very steady decline. Even University who have taken their courses online have solely preferred the video format to text documentation, although you can still get some text documentation for reference purposes.

I don't think book sales are an indicator for the health of the text domain. The medium is dying not things being text.
One of the main reasons I don't like videos is because skipping is too complicated. I needed 10 times clicking my mouse to skip the first 3:30 of your video because I'm neither interested in github nor in sourcetree this time.

> My video tutorial explain the whole process of working pharo with git, to my knowledge is the only tutorial that does this, it takes from how to do things with filetree, how to use baselines (i think I included that one but my connection is down and I cant check this) , how to use git (contrary to other pharo git documentation that assumes knowledge of git) and how to use an external gui client (something I highly recommend because there is no replacement for it with pharo ) . Sourcetree is used as an example , you can use any other git gui client instead. I chose not to present gitfiletree because at the time it had problem on both MacOS and Windows, dont know if Thierry has fixed those issues.

You are telling me I should watch the video but I got the impression you didn't read any of this thread before replying ;) Your video is not about the problems I have. It is a beginner video how to use pharo and git together and that's fine. I'm glad you did it.
I'm after a workflow that can be used as developer as well as in a continuous integration server without introducing to many side effects.

thanks,

Norbert