[Pharo-users] Pharo + git workflow

Thierry Goubier thierry.goubier at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 15:36:51 EST 2016

Hi Norbert,

Le 25/01/2016 21:17, Norbert Hartl a écrit :
> Hi Thierry,
>
>> Am 25.01.2016 um 20:45 schrieb Thierry Goubier
>> <thierry.goubier at gmail.com <mailto:thierry.goubier at gmail.com>>:
>>
>> Hi Norbert,

>>> My own insights so far when using git:
>>>
>>> - I need to use BaselineOf instead of ConfigurationOf. Thus you
>>> cannot use Versionner anymore
>>
>> You can use ConfigurationOf. BaselineOf is only there to help.
>>
> Ok, good to know.
>
>>> - I need to load metacello-work from github in order to use
>>> bitbucket:// repositories
>>
>> This should be an issue for Pharo.
>>
>>> - Metacello downloads a zip file from the repository to install code.
>>> I have no glue how I can download things locally in order to work on
>>> the code
>>
>> Metacello github:// and bitbucket:// urls are only for read-only access
>> to the packages (distribution).
>>
>> Metacello install the contents of the zip into a path composed of
>> github-cache (or bitbucket-cache I guess), the repository name, person
>> name, commit id or version as a filetree repository. You can add that
>> repository as a filetree repository inside Monticello if you want. But
>> it is read-only.
>>
> That is ok if you produce a deployment artefact, e.g. with jenkins. But
> there is either a bitbucket:// _or_ a gitfiletree:// url in the baseline.
>
>> Download locally is done by either a git clone on the command line or by
>> a GitFileTree remote repository addition.
>>
>>> - Specifying a path to access a sub-directory of the repository seems
>>> not to be possible
>>
>> It is: url format is
>> [github|gitfiletree|bitbucket]://.../repo:commit/sub-directory.
>
> It works without sub-directory. With it throws an error
>
> 'Git error: Cloning into ''st''...
> conq: invalid command syntax.
>
> Please make sure you have the correct access rights
> and the repository exists.

Oh, I see. You're using the stable version of GitFileTree in Pharo4,
isn't it?

I haven't pushed the changes for the url syntax in that version. So the
old syntax becomes:

gitfiletree://example.com/path/to/repo?dir=sub-directory&branch=commit

My problem is that the new url syntax is in the same package as the
metadata-less mode of GitFileTree, and that mode supposes a fix to
FileTree (a single method!). Maybe I'll switch the Pharo4 development
version to not create metadata-less repositories.

>> It is also allways possible to reopen a filetree or a gitfiletree repo
>> on a sub-directory of the main repository... this is how FileTree itself
>> is tested for integration.
>>
>>> - I don't know where to specify credentials because I have a private
>>> repo on bitbucket
>>
>> If you have a ssh key, then GitFileTree will pick it up for you.
>>
> Yes, that is my preferred way, too.

Well, that one really had to work :)

>>> My conclusion is that if you don't want to use versionner and you
>>> have public projects on github using that stuff might seem feasible.
>>> If any of those is different it won't work. Right?
>>
>> No, it works and has been working for git access to private
>> repositories, bitbucket included, for years... at least on Linux ;)
>>
> Ok, thanks, if the sub-directory stuff would work it would be ok to jump
> in. Maybe there is a way to tweak the url in the baseline. It would
> remove the need to install gitfiletree in a deployment artefact. We'll see.

In a deployment artefact, then it becomes a bit different because your
repo is then public.

What I did for a Pharo4 deployment was to write a context dependent
Makefile which uses filetree if I'm dealing with an archive of my
artefact, and gitfiletree if it is build from a development repo.

> Thanks again,

You're welcome. I'll update GitFileTree for Pharo4 soon and recommend
that you use the development version.

Thierry