[Pharo-users] Pharo + git workflow

Thierry Goubier thierry.goubier at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 14:45:00 EST 2016

Hi Norbert,

Le 25/01/2016 20:01, Norbert Hartl a écrit :

>> Am 25.01.2016 um 18:09 schrieb Norbert Hartl <norbert at hartl.name>:
>>
>> I'm eager to try a new project with some git repositories. But to
>> be honest I don't really get it. Searching the web there is lots to
>> find but nothing actual.
>>
>> I don't understand if it is ok to use a ConfigurationOf or if it
>> only works with a BaselineOf. And how do you specify the repository
>> in a ConfigurationOf in order to be able to work locally as well as
>> having jenkins pull everything automatically? Same goes for
>> dependent projects.
>>
>> Are there any insights to this or pointers to an up-to-date
>> documentation?
>>
> My own insights so far when using git:
>
> - I need to use BaselineOf instead of ConfigurationOf. Thus you
> cannot use Versionner anymore

You can use ConfigurationOf. BaselineOf is only there to help.

> - I need to load metacello-work from github in order to use
> bitbucket:// repositories

This should be an issue for Pharo.

> - Metacello downloads a zip file from the repository to install code.
> I have no glue how I can download things locally in order to work on
> the code

Metacello github:// and bitbucket:// urls are only for read-only access
to the packages (distribution).

Metacello install the contents of the zip into a path composed of
github-cache (or bitbucket-cache I guess), the repository name, person
name, commit id or version as a filetree repository. You can add that
repository as a filetree repository inside Monticello if you want. But
it is read-only.

Download locally is done by either a git clone on the command line or by
a GitFileTree remote repository addition.

> - Specifying a path to access a sub-directory of the repository seems
> not to be possible

It is: url format is
[github|gitfiletree|bitbucket]://.../repo:commit/sub-directory.

It is also allways possible to reopen a filetree or a gitfiletree repo
on a sub-directory of the main repository... this is how FileTree itself
is tested for integration.

> - I don't know where to specify credentials because I have a private
> repo on bitbucket

If you have a ssh key, then GitFileTree will pick it up for you.

> My conclusion is that if you don't want to use versionner and you
> have public projects on github using that stuff might seem feasible.
> If any of those is different it won't work. Right?

No, it works and has been working for git access to private
repositories, bitbucket included, for years... at least on Linux ;)

Thierry