[Pharo-users] Dynamic Typing > Static Typing? « games.greggman.com

Jimmie Houchin jlhouchin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 13:27:27 EST 2016

I will not argue whether or not Smalltalk and Lisp were right all along.
However, the fact that Smalltalk and Lisp are where they are is not
simply a matter of technical merit. There were many, many, political
decisions made by the owners of the technology which participated in its
successes and failures.

Proprietary, commercial, expensive, and the varying corporate entities
one had to deal with in order to use this software was a huge factor. Us
small guys who would want to use this fantastic enabling technology had
our limitations in acquiring this technology. You had to have money and
really want to spend it in this manner.

This is not to make derogatory statements about their decisions. But
they did have an impact. Had the best of Smalltalk and Lisp been open
sourced 20 to 30 years ago. Would this be a very different world? I
think so. However, the income and profits of those corporations would
have been different also. It wasn't our decision to make and we were not
living in their shoes. We would have to become knowledgeable about the
economics, the state of the competition, the state of their own
business, etc. to become even reasonably qualified to judge. Even then
different people make different decisions because they think differently
or even possibly are looking for different results. Open source was a
different and very foreign world back then. It was a very foreign
thought to open source your intellectual property and believe that you
could earn a living from it. You do have to think different to be a
creator of open source software and to be successful at making a living
from it.

What if Sun put the effort into Strongtalk that they put into Java?
Where would we be?

I personally believe Smalltalk and Lisp had it right. Own the entire
environment and machine. Turtles all the way down.

Unfortunately the world isn't so clean. However, we do have a very nice
open source Smalltalk inspired tool in Pharo. While the past was not in
our control. We do have a say about the future. :)
Lets make the future great!

Shalom Aleichem

Jimmie