[Pharo-users] Creation form from PNG file very slow on Pharo 4 and 5

Thierry Goubier thierry.goubier at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 04:27:25 EST 2016

Hi Kilon,

Le 17/01/2016 22:25, Dimitris Chloupis a écrit :
> Fuel is great indeed and very convenient ,will definetly use this
> approach if I end up dealing with a lot of PNGs and experience some
> serious delays, but for now, lazy loading with some forking should be
> enough to make this instantaneous .  I prefer to stick with pngs because
> it easy to update them and version control them via git and github

I think there is a way to cache your pngs, their creation time, and load
them only once upon installation of your tool, and update them in memory
only if they have been changed on disk.

I suspect all media heavy software have tactics to work around the same
performance issues: multi-resource formats (zip or fuel) and the same
kind of caching (load only once when installing the software).

Thierry