[Pharo-users] Morphic is super slow

Dimitris Chloupis kilon.alios at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 18:28:19 EST 2016

taskbarTask (self valueOfProperty: #noTaskbarTask ifAbsent: [ false ])
ifTrue: [ ^ nil ]. ^ nil "TaskbarTask morph: self state: self taskbarState
icon: self taskbarIcon label: self taskbarLabel"

The uncommented part was the one that was slowing me down, its a copy from
SystemWindow, on a new image of Pharo consumption drops to 15% but still
have issues with Nautilus etc.

latsabben at Slack also recommended caching which helped also

taskbarTask ​ "myTask := nil." myTask ifNil: [ myTask := TaskbarTask morph:
self state: self taskbarState icon: self taskbarIcon label: self
taskbarLabel ]. myTask label: self taskbarLabel. ^myTask

Anyway I decided to port my project to C++ and Unreal Engine because I have
many issues with Pharo speed wise and stability wise with Pharo 5. Plus
many IDE features I miss like proper auto completion etc.

To be fair I tried to make custom gui with python and it was even slower in
the past.

So its clear I need a high performance language + API, because I will be
building a very heavy GUI (many more animations)  and I would like also
some fast 3d functionality too.