[Pharo-users] Morphic is super slow

Dimitris Chloupis kilon.alios at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 15:35:11 EST 2016

So I decided to find out why Nuatilus delays to syntax highlight when I
open ChronosManager I open my activity monitor to be amazed by the fact
that pharo was consuming 30% of one of my cores.

At the time I thought it was my fault because when my GUI steps I load from
a png a form that I attack to a Morph. So I optomised that part loading all
the pngs before hand , creating all the forms and during steping point only
to the correct form.

Nope still 30%

ok change step time to 1 sec

Nope still 30%

ok delete step and step time alltogether

Nope still 30%

so the only explanation left is that pharo does not like I use images ,
which are not that big anyway , my whole image library is just 1 mb.

So how I profile this ? Is there any way to find exactly where that 30% is
consumed ?

I tried to profile step and it retunred back with a mere 32ms , and I
suspect thats the first step that loads the images , the second step would
be much faster since it will just point to correct forms. So with a step of
32ms max and stepping once per second why a 30% CPU consumption ?