[Pharo-users] I am David Allouche, let me introduce myself.

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas offray at riseup.net
Wed Jan 13 16:50:12 EST 2016

Hi,

On 10/01/16 17:16, Dimitris Chloupis wrote:

[...]
> I think when people referring to Smalltalk refer to Smalltalk as the
> language or OOP itself, but thats only the tip of the iceberg, Pharo
> tries to stay true to vision of smalltalk creating the virtual
> enviroment where the user can easily create his or her own tools or
> modifying the existing ones, something that I feel no other language
> out there can emulate because they follow a non monolithic approach
> where there is a deep dichotomy between language, libraries and the
> environment itself. You could say that Smalltalk is the anti-Unix
> architecture , a great example of monolithic design that works great
> in practice yet its easy to modify and extend.

[...]

A place where I finally got this clear was in the book Tracing the
Dynabook by John W. Maxwell[1], where its author says that a fair
comparison wouldn't be between Smalltalk and other programming
languages, but between Smalltalk and the operative systems paradigm. I
had found Squeak in 2005 and even reading something about the Dynabook,
but was until reading this text on 2007 when I finally get it. It has a
different approach that the classical programming book, but was one of
the most enlightening reading for me about Smalltalk, the dynabook and
the popular computer paradigm we have today.

[1] http://tkbr.ccsp.sfu.ca/dynabook/

Cheers,

Offray