[Pharo-users] Data Kitchen: A data visualization project powered by Pharo. Feedback welcomed.

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas offray at riseup.net
Sat Oct 24 10:49:50 EDT 2015

Hi Serge,

As I told you, once the call was over, I will be talking with you. So
here we are :-). Our proposal didn't make it to the next round, but
we're having this conversation thanks to the participation, which is
already a  big benefit.

I would like to give you some deeper overview of the Data Kitchen
project and where is "conceptually" located to zoom in in health related
issues to let you see where collaboration could happen.

The Data Kitchen project is part of the explorations I'm making in my
doctoral studies. The "philosophical question" is "how we can change the
digital artifacts that change us?". By "we" I'm talking about the
community around a local hackerspace (in a broader sense), because this
places are interesting "laboratories" of social appropriation of science
and technology with dynamics which are different (at least in the Global
South) of more institutionalized approaches (like the ones in
universities). We're not constrained by curricula or titles, but also we
have less resources and "official" dialog spaces, like happens with
universities. So I think that hackerspaces are a key places for this
kind of experiments and studies on other ways to make/appropriate
knowledge (including health related issues). Data Kitchen, Data Week and
other projects a wrote/plan, happens in our local hackerspace.

The idea of interactive data narratives & visualizations started because
after a local hackathon on 2013, I saw that the mobile "apps" approach
was pretty limited. People become "data sensors" of mobile phones to
feed some cloud infrastructure they don't own or understand. On the
other hand, telling stories with data is more empowering: once you have
understand how to tell your first story, you can tell another one
without depending on software developers, app makers, external clouds,
etc. And data story telling can be a bridge between the programming
world and the oral/printing world. This were the reasons behind trying
to make my own self-contained moldable tool and pocket infrastructure
for data visualization and narratives.

Because I have been related with civic hackers and/or hacktivits, one of
the first places I'm trying to look is twitter and that is one of my
primary concerns, and because I made a consultancy for the Colombian
government on Open and Community Innovation on Health, this is a
secondary one. A friend is working on data visualization to compare how
much medicine info is released by public health agencies. I'll try to
use Roassal on that visualization.

My idea would be to implement data kitchen (this mix of tools, people
and places) and use political discourse on Twitter and public medicine
information as examples in our workshops and published memories and
materials, but I would like to open the possibility to the people to
bring their own data sets and questions to the table.

Most of my studies and work has been auto-sponsored but is taking long
time to get results because I need to pause research for work and
viceversa, so I'm really interested in some ways to make this project
and its associated research sustainable, so I will be waiting to hear
your ideas and proposals.

Thanks for your interest Serge,

Bests,

Offray