[Pharo-users] Artefact and WideString

Henrik Johansen henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no
Thu Oct 22 10:10:15 EDT 2015

> On 22 Oct 2015, at 3:31 , Sabine Manaa <manaa.sabine at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I do also use two different implementations for artefact/pdf and html:
>
> artefact:
> 128 asCharacter asString
>
> html:
> '€'
>
> same would be great

https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/pdf/pdfs/PDF32000_2008.pdf <https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/pdf/pdfs/PDF32000_2008.pdf>
4.9 character
"character numeric code representing an abstract symbol according to some defined character encoding rule
NOTE 1 There are three manifestations of characters in PDF, depending on context:
• A PDF file is represented as a sequence of 8-bit bytes, some of which are interpreted as character codes in the ASCII character set and some of which are treated as arbitrary binary data depending upon the context.
• The contents (data) of a string or stream object in some contexts are interpreted as character codes in the PDFDocEncoding or UTF-16 character set.
• The contents of a string within a PDF content stream in some situations are interpreted as character codes that select glyphs to be drawn on the page according to a character encoding that is associated with the text font. "

What those contexts are, I don't know, but they all need to be handled differently;
- For bullet one, there's nothing to do.
- For bullet 2, there needs to be an encoding layer which converts the strings to proper format when writing the PDF, see section 7.9.2.
Seems to me the process would be simpler when writing the file if one ignored PDFDocEncoding altogether and eiter write ascii, or convert to BOM-marked UTF16 (in the same way we write ASCII or BOM-marked UTF8 for chunk files)
- For bullet 3, one would need to convert to the fonts character set.

Cheers
Henry