[Pharo-users] Pharo messaging

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Sun Oct 18 07:30:22 EDT 2015

> Am 13.10.2015 um 13:53 schrieb Torsten Bergmann <astares at gmx.de>:
>
> Hi,
>
> Lots of message apps in use today (WhatsApp, Telegram, ...) on phones and mobile
> devices. There is "WhatsAPI" [1] - but my understanding is that it was closed for
> legal/security reasons. There are other solutions like Telegram that also have an API [2].
>
> What options do we have in Pharo these days:
>
> - to send messages from Pharo to a phone

You need to use a combination of push/pull messaging. If you like to do a chat app then XMPP might be useful for this. But that only works when an app is active (foreground) on a phone. For push messaging you need to use a service that provides it. We have our own push message service running in order to do that. An alternative would be urban airship.

> - receive messages from an app to control a Pharo image remotely
>   from a phone or communicate

I'm not sure what you mean by saying "receiving messages". You can have a pharo image installed on a server and a app could use a HTTP interface. Or did you have something special in mind?

If time wouldn't be such a sparse resource we could provide a solution to this. We are building most of the pieces to handle device and image management, push services and authentication. If time permits we might build a service where apps and images register themselves and allow each of the entities contact the others available.

Norbert