[Pharo-users] Pharo and SQLite

Jimmie Houchin jlhouchin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 17:43:56 EDT 2015

Thanks for the reply.

My idea at the moment to write the application as the user interface to
the SQLite database. I do want all of the rdb features. I also
explicitly want something that is usable from other languages or
environments. I might someday think LuaJIT to be the direction I want to
go or whatever. So I want my data to be usable by most anybody. And I
think this view is a good thing for Pharo. I want Pharo to win because
it is the best solution. Not because of any particular technology lock-in.

As I was thinking about the searches that my wife will want in this
recipe database. It seemed to me that there was no easy searches just
iterating through collections of objects. Which is why in my initial
naive thinking that as I approached the problem it felt that in order to
search like we wanted to search it was not a simple solution regardless
of keeping it all Pharo and persisting in the image or moving the data
to an SQLite database. It just felt like I was going to write database
like methods to search over my collections and join and filter data from
hither, thither and yon. It seemed like moving to a real database would
be a win. I could be wrong and have a misconception of how to properly
solve the problem in Pharo/Smalltalk. I am completely open to my naive
initial conception being wrong. I am far from expert.

As I worked on the project and discussed it with my customer. This is my
first project with a customer. The project kept growing in scope and
requirements.

While I do have a customer, I do have an excellent relationship with my
customer. So I do have the liberty to learn and grow and even change
directions in this project using the technology of my choosing. :)
At the moment I am choosing Pharo and SQLite.

I at present do not see that writing an app on top of an SQLite database
would be more difficult than doing so in something like Lua. Unless
being less OO and more function is a big win.

I also somewhat have the thought of doing a test fork of the project in
a pure Pharo version. This just to test my present assumptions.

Whatever I do will be released with the exception of the recipes. The
content is not mine. :)
Who knows, my wife might be willing to release also. :)
That would test the scaling feature of the project. Most of you all
don't need recipes in our quantity.

Thanks.

Jimmie