[Pharo-users] Data Kitchen: A data visualization project powered by Pharo. Feedback welcomed.

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas offray at riseup.net
Thu Oct 15 11:58:14 EDT 2015

Hi Serge,

[...]

On 15/10/15 02:43, Serge Stinckwich wrote:
> I really like the idea of using Pharo/ROASSAL for data viz especially
> in the context of southern countries (you talk about about Global
> South in your document). Having a portable environment is definitively
> a plus in the context of countries where the bandwidth is really limited.

Yes. That is the case here. Even is cities like Bogotá (Colombia),
connectivity can be a pain in the arse. Having p2p or pocket solutions
that can work off-line and then sync and be ran from a usb thumdrive is
a context sensitive case. As I said in the call, most of the data
visualization solutions have complicated, web based, multilayered
infrastructures, while Pharo is a medium that goes the other way around:
light, understandable, self contained. Hopefully we will made a case for
a more diverse data visualization ecosystem that explore the opposite of
the current data trend (big data, web based tools).

> My lab is working with developing countries (including south-america)
> and we could exchange some private emails on how to sustain such a
> project. I'm interested by such tool in the context of health and/or
> crisis issues for example. Regards,

I plan to show more examples, the first related with political activism
and twitter, and the second one (at the end of the call) on medicine
information published by government agencies. We have worked on Open and
community innovation in health issues. A draft document (wrote entirely
on grafoscopio) on this experience can be found, in Spanish, on [1].
There I talk about digital infrastructures that support open/community
innovation in health and specifically on data narratives and
visualization (and even talk about IPython and grafoscopio).

[1] http://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/piamed/doc/tip/Libro/libro.pdf

So yes, I'm pretty interested in such talk and I have a shared interest
with health information. Lets continue in private. Just give me these 6
days until News Challenge call is over (any help sharing the link at [2]
meanwhile and with feedback is really appreciated).

[2]
https://www.newschallenge.org/challenge/data/evaluation/data-kitchen-frictionless-data-moldable-tools-pocket-infrastructures-permanent-workshops-for-community-empowerment/

Thanks,

Offray